Notify
Tools

Who for Brown Bear Rugs
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted
All:

I'm heading to Alaska on May 17th for Brown Bear. The possibility of success is high, and if successful, I would like to get a bear skin rug done.

Who here can recommend someone who can do a good job? After doing some research on here and elsewhere, I'm seeing prices for a rug run about $1600 to $2000. Is that accurate?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Paul

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Mary's rug making in Arizona. She posts on here quite a bit and just got my Leopard rug from her a month ago and it's awesome. Mary Hiliard-Krueger. Send her a PM, you won't be sorry.

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Check out Mary's rug making in Arizona. She posts on here quite a bit and just got my Leopard rug from her a month ago and it's awesome. Mary Hiliard-Krueger. Send her a PM, you won't be sorry.

Larry Sellers

Show us the spots, Larry!

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodland Taxidermy in Palmer, Alaska. Larry McMurphy. PhoneFrowner907) 745-1134. I have seen a lot of his work and it it first class. He's doing a live mount of my son-in-laws 10'2" Growler. Good luck on the hunt.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
He must be good if he can mount it live.
Wink

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to our website..
Griz/Brown Bear Rugs run $200.00 a foot.. We stretch wide, not long.. 6 month turn around..

http://www.thesafariroom.com/Rugs.html

Good luck on your hunt..

Jim Kimball

Posts: 66 | Location: North Central Wisconsin | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend Safari Room for your bear ,they really do have a 6 month turn around.Brenda has great attention to detail and finish work.

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:

Larry Sellers

i second this recommendation. i have been told that a lot of taxidermists don't do rugs. they take your hide and charge you for a rug but send it to a wholesale/retail rug maker like Mary, who actually does the rugging.maybe true maybe not but i know Mary does superb work.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13233 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
homer

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I will throw one more recommendation in the mix: Wildlife Taxidermy in Cameron, Texas. Bob & Dodie Wilkins have been in the business over 40 years. Miss Dodie runs the rug shop. She has taxidermists from all over the country send her their rugs to do:

http://www.wildlifeartistry-texas.com/Home.html

They do all of my work, and have for over 12 years now.

Good Hunting!

Bob

Here are their rug prices.

Bob & Dodie's Shop

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Bob, your posting implies what i have been told. a lot of taxidermists do not do rugs- they just charge you as if they did the work but actually send it elsewhere. to the original poster, i would suggest that you ask whoever you decide on if they actually do the rugging- hopefully they do or will be honest and tell you otherwise. good luck.

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Bob, your posting implies what i have been told. a lot of taxidermists do not do rugs- they just charge you as if they did the work but actually send it elsewhere. to the original poster, i would suggest that you ask whoever you decide on if they actually do the rugging- hopefully they do or will be honest and tell you otherwise. good luck.

What difference does it make if the end product is a good job done for a competitive price?

If someone hires a contractor to do a remodel job, they don't expect him to do the plumbing, electrical, carpentry, masonary work by himself. Instead, they expect him to hire folks who are experts at those tasks.

A good number of taxidermists also farm out their clients' birds and fish to other taxidermists who are better qualified to do them.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
maybe its just me but if i take/send an item to a taxidermist, i expect him/her to do the work or if not, to be UPFRONT about who does. why check references or visit a shop if what you see was done elsewhere? i have no problem with them farming out certain items but i would at least like to know its been done. the contractor analogy makes no sense at all- apples to oranges. its about misrepresentation of a service. if someone sends stuff to the Wildlife Gallery, Animal Artistry, Jonas Brothers( insert any name you like), they should have a reasonable expectation that the work will be done by them or they will be told otherwise. i repeat- i have no problem with certain things being sub- contracted out but feel that should be stated and the item not presented as work done by that studio- BECAUSE IT WASN'T.