THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Question for the taxidermist

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the taxidermist
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
What's the short Y cut? Am I correct to say that you make a short cut down from the antlers, then skin the head from the ears forward as far as you can through that opening, then skin from the nose back towards the ears till you meet the area you've just skinned?

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7996 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
You got it. Some prefer the y cut, as opposed to splitting the neck full length.

Posts: 274 | Location: Wa. | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there any reference book for recommended skinning cuts for various final poses? I would assume taxidermists would have a preferred method of skinning for various poses so they can hide the stitches or facilitate pulling onto forms.

It'd be a great thing for those in the field to know. A laminated spiral bound reference book would be even better (I get partial royalties if I just gave someone the idea Smiler )

I remember back when I first started duck hunting, I had a little laminated spiral duck ID book that I kept in my game bag to help ducks.

Posts: 504 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Sorry gs. No idea is original and there are more ways that one to skin a cat. Each of us develops our own favorite method and even those sometimes vary when we get a particular pose. Not enough people read anymore so a spiral bound book would be a very long shot. The internet is filled with tutorials but the viewer still needs to realize what I said above. You're just seeing one person's particular preference.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote