THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Moving a 330 elk shoulder mount accross the country

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving a 330 elk shoulder mount accross the country
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ptaylor
posted
I shot a 330 bull several years ago. Had it shoulder mounted, looks great and I'm very happy. However, I'm moving from Montana to Texas via. U-haul. Whats the best way to get it down south. I'm looking for cost effective methods. Should I: i)make a wood crate to place mount in and put in uhaul, ii)find someone to box and ship for me, iii)have pins put in so I can take the horns on/off. I'm open to any suggestions.

Posts: 328 | Location: central TX | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I would screw the back of the mount to a large piece of plywood and then screw the plywood to the wood floor of the trailer. Protect that with whatever type crating was necessary.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
When I moved from Mn to Wyoming I made a special trip with all my mounts, I packed them is my pickup topper and in the cab. I felt it was the safest way of getting them here. I had a turkey in the cab with me and got many funny looks on the hiway

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I moved from south Florida to Colorado about 5 months ago. I had everything from Africa animals to quail and pheasants. I rented a 5'X8' Uhaul and screwed all the mounts to the bottom of 5X8 sheet of plywood and then just laid the plywood in the bottom of the trailer. Everything made it just fine without a single hair or feather detached.

Good luck with the move! I think I'd just as soon be kicked in the face with a golf shoe all day as to moving!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ptaylor
posted Hide Post
Excellent ideas. I think the plywood trick will work great. Thank you.

Posts: 328 | Location: central TX | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote