New
Find
Notify
Tools

Storage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need to store, in my attic, a number of shoulder mounts. How best do I "package" them so that they are OK five or six years from now? I will have access to them at any time so a check and "re-package" is feasible.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Honestly, the attic is a bad choice for storing mounts. The changes in temperature and humidity can cause damage and many attics will allow damage from bugs and or rodents. The chance of these damages may vary depending on where you live but my opinion is that you would be taking a risk. If you have no other choice, I would do whatever you can to try and rodent/bug proof the stored items. Perhaps sealing them in plastic storage bins or even well sealed crates.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grafton:
Honestly, the attic is a bad choice for storing mounts. The changes in temperature and humidity can cause damage and many attics will allow damage from bugs and or rodents. The chance of these damages may vary depending on where you live but my opinion is that you would be taking a risk. If you have no other choice, I would do whatever you can to try and rodent/bug proof the stored items. Perhaps sealing them in plastic storage bins or even well sealed crates.

X2

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had to store all my mounts...10 shoulders and a full mount. I chose to store them at my parents' house and my uncle's house. Until I have enough space to properly display them I let them get the thrill of sitting around and enjoying my trophies.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote