THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Moose Cape Damage - Insect ?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moose Cape Damage - Insect ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
https://drive.google.com/file/...UVk/view?usp=sharing

Found this bare patch on a mounted Moose cape, and it wasn't there before. It's at the base of one ear so not easily visible. It looks like hairs have been cut / eaten right back completely or down to short stumps. In hairs next to the bare patch there were small deposits ( like dried saliva / mucus ? ) of crusty semi clear substance matting some hairs together. I suspect this is insect damage of some kind. Could any taxidermists here advise further ?
I want to prevent any continuation or new damage. Is there any recommended product I can treat this mount with ( aerosol or powder ) that will not affect the appearance of the mount ?
Thanks for any advice...

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2089 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Call an exterminator, you could possibly have an infestation in your house and on other mounts.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2013 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed I concur. A water based spray for roaches and ants (synthetic pyrethroid) will work as will Roach Powder(boric acid). These won't harm the mount. Likely a member of Lepidoptera(clothes moths) or Dermatidae(hide beetles). Outside chance could be ants(Formicidae). If moths bacillus thuriengensis (BT) is quite effective, non-toxic but slow acting.

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Huffaker:
Call an exterminator, you could possibly have an infestation in your house and on other mounts.

Posts: 3783 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote