THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Wet tanned capes in my freezer?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wet tanned capes in my freezer?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My taxidermist went out of business and gave me my frozen wet tanned capes. I have kept them frozen but am now wondering about them developing freezer burn.

I have spent too much money hunting and am now trying to get some cash together to pay for more taxidermy work.

How long can I safely keep my wet tanned capes in the freezer before using them?

Posts: 276 | Location: hendersonville, nc 28739 | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
As long as they are wrapped well in plastic where air can't get in or out, they should last indefinitely. Even if they do dry out (which is actually what "freezer burn" is, they could still be re-hydrated by your taxidermist when it's time to mount them.

I expect they should be fine.

Good luck!

JDS

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I have a wolverene stored this way, which was sent to me by a friend who is a taxidermist in BC. He said to make sure it was wet when I put it back in the freezer, and as was said, keep it tightly sealed.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to deviate from the original thread, but it is a slightly similar topic...

How about a raw skin, skinned but not fleshed. I just loosely folded it together and put it in a plastic bag, not air tight or anything, until I get time to either take it to the taxidermist, or thaw and flesh myself. Should I be quick to do this or can I take a few months.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Frans, A raw skin like you describe can be frozen just fine. You should seal it up tight in a bag and get all the air out. Try and limit the number of times a skin is to go through the freeze/thaw cycle. The next time it is thawed it is a good idea to get it fleshed, turned, salted, pickled, tanned. Some things last for many years in the freezer, but it should be safe to say 6 months.
When freezing a warm skin, I always lay it flat in the chest freezer until it is cold (30 min-hour) then bag it. Rolling up a warm skin and putting it into a bag could allow for bacteria growth (=hair slip) before the skin has time to freeze.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I kept a deer cape in my freezer for about three months w/ no problems. I've also got an Egyptian Goose that's been in there since NOV. It'll go to the shop this week. I've done ducks like this too again w/ no problems.

Ron

Posts: 67 | Location: The Pelican State | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, I'll pack the skin a little tighter than I had until I can get it fleshed/salted, or taken to the taxidermist.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote