New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions appreciated
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello all. I have a euro mounted kudu (skull on wood)which arrived from Namibia a few weeks ago.
The horn looks really dry, and I was wondering if could give the horns a 'drink' or polish with something to get a nice luster back?
I also have a hartbeast that would also benifit, though not as bad.
Suggestions appreciated
Cheers
Stu

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
I have used beeswax, and think the result is pretty good.

Use a toothbrush to apply. Try behind the horns first to ensure the correct "amount" of wax.. Can`t remember the brand, but all natural beeswax should work I guess.

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Bees wax works well. I like to paint mine with 50/50 turpentine/linseed oil first. Kudu horns don't usually have all the nooks and crannies that some of the others do and the bees wax won't penetrate like the 50/50 does.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoe wax rubbed on and brushed with a shoe shine brush does pretty good. As mentioned it is hard to apply straight beeswax. You can put beeswax in a can and place in a pan of water (a double boiler) and it readily melts so that you can add lanolin which will soften the beeswax and make it apply more readily. You can add some shoe wax to the mixture for color too. Beeswax is good stuff and is more pricey than most of the ingredients in shoe wax,so you can improve your shoe wax by melting in some beeswax and so that it's not too hard,cut it with lanolin and neetsfoot oil. Linseed oil is good stuff too,but does have a lingering smell.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anders, George and carpetman thank you very much. The bees wax also smells nice, I now have a project for the weekend.
Regards
Stu

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stuey---If you are going to be melting down some beeswax,I'll give you another pointer. There is about a half dollar sized tin of natural Beeswax Lip Balm. Comes in yellow and black tin. Wal Mart has it. As it comes from the shelf I don't like it---too hard and about like rubbing on a rock and then rubbing your lip. When can is new,remove some of it and get a bottle of vitamin E oil----you can also get that from Wal Mart. Use pan and just a small amont of water---so that it's below the top of the tin and melt the contents of the tindouble boiler) and stir in a lid full or so of the vitamin E oil. ou can stir it with a toothpick and will be able to see when it has blended in. The wax will now be softer and besides using on your lips,use it on your cuticles. Your fingernails will have a sheen,but not oily and the lip balm will not be cakey( is that a word---maybe crusty?) Very handy you can carry it in your pocket and every few months replinish it with a small amount of beeswax and more vitamin E oil. You can also get a bottle of coconut oil from the flavoring/spice section of the supermarket and add a lid of it.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks carpetman
Cheers stu