Find
Notify
Tools

Climate Control?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted
I recently moved into a new house and am having problems finding a place to hang some of my trophies (American Bison & a few Whitetail Deer). I was considering my two car garage as the ceilings are high and there is plenty of wall space. The Garage is fully finished and insulated but not climate controlled. The garage is used in typical fashion (auto parking and junk storage). My concern is the lack of climate control. I live in northern WV and the winters are cold and dry and the summers are hot and humid. Would my trophies be damaged if displayed in my garage?

Thanks for any responses….

Matt V….

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mead Taxidermy Studio
posted Hide Post
Of course, keeping your mounts in a climate controlled environment and out of direct sunlight is always best.

I guess you would have to determine what sort of tempurature range you are going to expose your trophies to. If we are talking a range from below 32 degrees (F) to upwards of 100, and considering the humidity factor, that would expose the mounts to a lot of stress when the hide contracts and expands. You will see cracks and drumming (hide pulling away from the mannikin) in no time. If the range is not TOO extreme, they will probably be okay, but you should keep a close eye on them for cracks and for insect infestation, as well.

Bob Mead
Mead Taxidermy Studio
Deming, NM

www.meadtaxidermystudio.com

Posts: 43 | Location: SW New Mexico | Registered: 19 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A stable enviroment of temperature humidity is whats needed. Mounts stress and strain under extremes of temperature and humidity.

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies,

I’ll definitely keep my mounts out of the garage. My new house just doesn’t have the room to hang them all right now. I’m going to have to put an addition on eventually.

Matt V.

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote