THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    How to use an antler tip for a support on the wall?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to use an antler tip for a support on the wall?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My wife is interested in using an antler points to support some things on the wall. I can cut the point off of the antler easily but how do I go about screwing the point into the wall? I could drill out the base of the point but I do not want the head of the screw to show.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Posts: 276 | Location: hendersonville, nc 28739 | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to your local cabinet or home improvement store, or a woodworking catalog and get some of the double ended screws they use for furniture (such as table or chair legs, etc). These are typically a wood screw thread on one end and a machine screw thread on the other. Drill a hole in the antler tip, fill it with epoxy, and turn in the machine screw threaded end. Once set, it will not come out and the wood screw can be put into whatever you want (drill a pilot hole to make insertion easier).

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did this for a prop in a movie once- the best solution we had was to grind the head of a sheetrock screw, drill a hole in the antler for a slip fit for the screw shank, epoxy it in.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Just goe to Lowes or Home Depot and find the "fasteners" section. They sell special double ended screws for pulling furniture together. Pick one that fits. Drill the antler oversized. Wash the screw off with lacquer thinner, fill the hole with epoxy and insert half the threaded end into one piece leaving the other exposed. Once cured, all you have to do is screw the antler into the wood and it will cinch itself up as snugly as you can muster.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote