Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Taxidermist
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted
I've a Whitetail Deer hunt near Sonora, Texas the second week of December. I'm looking for a good
Whitetail taxidermist within a reasonable distance of this area. This is a guided hunt, so my expectations are high for a trophy deer. Any help would be appreciated. I'd rather take the deer personally to a taxidermist rather than send it. I know The Wildlife Gallery has a pick up point in Kerville. That's the only option I have right now.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry Huffaker in Abilene. He posts here. He is one of the best I have ever seen.

Posts: 10148 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will gladly second Jerry Huffaker! He did my last Safari and is one of the best.

Posts: 41768 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
dogcat,JTEX
Thanks for Jerry's information. We're all set up and I'm sure if I'm successful on my hunt, he'll do an outstanding mount for me. Thanks again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And a 3rd recommendation for Jerry Huffaker. You won't be disappointed with the high quality of his work!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me add that I am an amateur taxidermist (birds and some other stuff). I know quite a bit about the art of taxidermy and what separate good from great. Jerry is in the "great" catagory. There are others out there, but he is special.

The rule on good taxidermy work is if the animal looks alive and the eyes track you. Also, what looks good to one person may differ. I have seen work from others on AR and it is good, some great - but Jerry is excellent.

His wife is an excellent rugger as well, the best I have worked with. I have had a lot of rug work done and found that reliable rug people are hard to find.

Posts: 10148 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
I'm looking forward to seeing some of their work when I drop my deer off (assuming success). I've seen their work through the years on AR and have been impressed. Anyway thank you for pointing me in his direction. I look forward to the experience.