THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    I'm going to give it a go!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm going to give it a go!
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
I met a cop while on holiday who is a part time taxidermist, and had a long chat to him about mounting a pig head. He lent me some video's of pig and deer heads being mounted and a seminar by Rick Carter? (Is that the bloke?) And I thought "Bugger it, I can do that I'll give it a go!!!"

I have a question for taxidermists out there.

The two video's on pigs are from the US and both fella's didn't use the origional pig teeth, prefering to use moulded ones, saying that the real ones crack. Is that common? Do you guys use the same method?

Any tips you can pass on?

Thanks
Bakes

Posts: 7974 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
I always use Jaw sets. I buy the best I can because the detail really looks good.
Using the real teeth may cause problems down the road.
I try to convince the customer to have the skull cleaned also. It really makes a nice trophy along with the shoulder mount.

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply Bo-n-aro.

The thing I have against jaw sets, is that its not the pig you shot. On one of the video's it showed a pig being caped out and the teeth were very small, when it was completed the teeth were huge. It might be just me but thats how I feel.

At the moment I have a few teeth and jaws (upper and lower)that I'm mounting on a slice of African mahogany. I pour olive oil down the teeth and fill with cotton wool until about 1/4 inch from the top the seal it up with wax. The oil soaks into the teeth and stops it drying out and cracking, I've got teeth that have lasted 2 years so far. (They come out a bit yellow but!)

What problems down the road can you expect with using the real teeth? Is it just the cracking or is there something else?

Thanks
Bakes

Posts: 7974 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bakes,
A buddy of mine killed a monster pig. He had the origional teeth installed. It looks great. They may yellow a bit. I don't think you can stop them from splitting eventually. Just more work to use the origional teeth.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I can see where it would save alot of time, especially if you were doing alot of mounts.

Bakes

posted Hide Post
What is the name of the video? And where can you purchase it from? Thanks

Posts: 1 | Location: VA | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Big Mac
I can't remember the name but if you go to Taxidermy.net and have a look at "learning Taxidermy" you'll find some video's.

Bakes