Find
Notify
Tools

Straightening Feathers
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
I have a pheasant I just received from the taxidermy shop. However, the tail feathers are ever so slightly crooked towards the tip of the feathers. I don't think it is the fault of the taxidermist but more of it problem it happened during shipping.

My question is: Is there a way to straighten out the tail feathers? They start beginning to curve just about 3 inches from the tip. Another thought is will they straighten out now that they are not constricted by the packing material?

Thanks for the help,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Packing material is not a good idea IMO when shipping bird mounts. Nothing should touch the bird, including the side of the box. I think it is best to have the base securely screwed to the box that has been framed and have no packing material around the bird to ruffle/damage feathers.

That being said, you can try to straighten the feathers. A hair dryer on a warm setting or steam can be used. After appying mild heat, card the feathers in the position that you want Thin cardboard on both sides of the feathers held in place by staples or small paper clips. Leave on for a few days and then remove.

The other option and probably the best one, is to have a taxidermist fix it for you. Wink

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
If you run them through your fingers in the direction you want them to go that should do it. Sometimes it takes doing it for a bit. It doesn't sound like they are that badly bent.

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
This morning I'm happy to report the feathers have straighten out over night. I guess they just needed a little time to get themselves realigned much like myself after I travel.

Thanks for you thoughts and comments,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote