THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Recommended Dimensions for Gemsbok Pedestal

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommended Dimensions for Gemsbok Pedestal
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I'm going to build an octagonal pedestal for a mount I have coming from NM in about 12 months.

How high? Width?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
I would make an octogan, 16 X 16 X 32. You can make it wider if you like, I don't like over powering pedestals, you want the attention on the mount not the ped. 18 wide would be OK but don't go any larger.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist
Huffaker Taxidermy Studio
huftax@sbcglobal.net
http://huffakertaxidermy.com/

Posts: 2006 | Location: Abilene,TX USA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Here is mine that Jerry did:

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I would interject that if the mount is done in a more upright pose, such as the photograph above, a narrower base such as the 16" is perfect. If you mount is done in more of a lower pose such as a sneak, I would go with a wider base to balance to look of the mount.

Just my $ .02 . . . adjusted, of course, of inflation.

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
thanks!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jds is correct, if the head position isn't as upright, a bigger base will be better balanced. This one is 18" wide.

Jerry Huffaker
huftax@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 2006 | Location: Abilene,TX USA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Jerry, would you mind calling my wife and telling her I was correct? I don't get to hear that very often!!

Thanks!

JDS

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jds:
Jerry, would you mind calling my wife and telling her I was correct? I don't get to hear that very often!!

Thanks!

JDS

OH NO! I'm not gonna touch that one.

Jerry Huffaker
huftax@sbcglobal.net

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Mine, by Bob Wilkins, is 21x21x28.
(Jerry, I always enjoy seeing your work!)

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome guys!!!
I leave for NM Oryx in March.
Cant wait.
W.Smiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote