Find
Notify
Tools

European mount
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LUIS
posted
I got the chance to go and hunt rams this past weekend and harvest a decent Rambo ram. I will like to do a European mount. My question is do any of you have a trick as haw to boil the skull in water. Is kind of awkward. I have done white tail deer before. Anything different that I should know. My concern is the horns, I don�t want to mess them up. TIA for any information that you can provide.

Posts: 162 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 16 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted Hide Post
I dont boil skulls anymore. I mascerate them.(let sit in water). Smelly as but it does a much better job. IMOP.

Posts: 227 | Location: Australia. | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
Give Skulls Unlimited in Oklahoma City a call or check their web page. They clean skulls with dermested beetles and do a great job! A ram will run around $100 and will be worth every cent. Boiling will ruin the skull and rotting is a real mess. The horns will need to be romoved. cleaned and re-attached and they do it all. You will have no stains or smells due to oils left in the bone like you will with the other methods.
Let us know how it works out how ever you decide to have it done.

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
This may sound stupid, but I have a buddy who sets the head on an ant pile until it is clean. It actually works. He also bleaches the skull somehow but I am not sure on that part.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted Hide Post
Yeah, i use a 'potion' to clean up the skulls.
(i did say it was smelly)
I dont have oils left in my skulls either.
Each to thier own.

Posts: 227 | Location: Australia. | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

I used skulltaxidermy.com, I think they are in utah, I was happy with the results and for $150 including plaque was a bargain. They also sell kits for DIY

Skulls unlimited messed up a coworkers mount so i did not use them.

Posts: 50 | Location: Winfield, KS | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just yesterday got back the head bone from a bear that I had "Bugs R Us" do. Excellent job, they are on the net (www.geocities.com/bugsrus12000), and located in Weippe, ID. Their price for a sheep is $60 cleaned only, $75 cleaned & whitened.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LUIS
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the great information. I was planing in do the mount my self but I think I will sned it up to skull unlimited. again thanks for all you information.

Posts: 162 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 16 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
I think you have made a wise decition to go with Skulls Unlimitted. You will be very happy with the results.
The bugs are the only way to go!
Looking forward to seeing the results.

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote