Find
Notify
Tools

Very nice elephant ears
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted
Here some ele ears i took some pictures of in Reno, very very nice IMO.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Those look very well done.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
6500 USD each - they should be ! But i agree with you, it is by far the best ears i ever seen..

One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
That first one of the outer ear is a great painting-very well done but it all starts with a great tan that is as soft as it looks. If I ever get to harvest a small tusker I would have to do the inner and outer sets for sure, a big tusker would have to shoulder mount. Very nice. patriot

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice!

Any info on the artist?

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another who does pretty nice original work on elephant ears is Clive Kay. Advertises in Safari Times quite a bit.

www.clivekay-artist.com

1-705-454-9637

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
It was a lady but i cant remember her name, i have her contact info somewhere.
I really wanted my ele to be a shouldermount but i didnt have the room- i hear many people say that it is very hard to get a shouldermount good..that it is better to make a replica ? What do you taxidermists say about that ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say that it's not very hard to get a good shoulder mount. I think it is like anything else, you get what you pay for. There are bad elephant mounts because most guys look for a good price(the cheap guy) thinking they are getting a good deal. Then after the glory of the good deal wears off, reality sets in and they have a bad mount. Instead of saying, "I got what I paid for" most will bitch that, "you can't get a good skin mount".

Taxidermy is taxidermy and what separates one taxidermist from another is the talent one has, the materials they use and how the hide is tanned. If you want quality work then you need to find the talent and pay for it. I'm not saying the most expensive guy is the way to go, but the cheap guy is cutting corners somewhere to save money. Cutting corners means he is skimping on a quality tan or the materials, thus resulting in a poor mount.

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That first ear is beautiful! To get a really nice shoulder mount I would think you should budget between $17,000 to $20,000.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Anton, any chance you could find that lady's card? That bull elephant is thebest I've seen and I'd like to contact her.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
http://www.thenewstribune.com/292/story/628499.html

I found this article and that is her. And i must say the ears looks even better in real life, but as always quality costs. !

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks Anton. Based upon that I've found her website: http://madelinejonesart.com/index.html

But, it is too expensive for my budget. I'll have to look elsewhere.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote