New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taxidermy school
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My younger brother has expressed some interest in going to a taxidermy school.

Anybody have any comments on any particular school, good or bad?

One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
There are many good schools out there, but if your brother is just curious, he is best to save his money, as the schools can be very expensive and only teach the basics.

There are other avenues to get your feet wet and learn the basics without a big expense. Taxidermy Forums.net is a taxidermist site full of beginners and intermediate taxidermists looking for guidance from a handful of more seasoned taxidermists. Taxidermists from all skill levels share techniques, give tutorials, critique others work, etc., etc. He can spend a week on that site reading current posts and checking the archives for just about any question he wants answered.

There are numerous beginner tutorial videos by some of the top taxidermists in the industry that are a wealth of information, which can be purchased through taxidermy supply companies.

The best exposure is, of course, to find a taxidermist willing to take a newbie on. That is where the best source of knowledge will come from 'hands on knowledge'. He can best get his foot in the door if he has skinning knowledge and a strong desire to do some hard work for little pay, in the beginning. Practice, practice, practice!

No taxidermy student comes out of school, opens a shop and is supporting himself in business. It is a long gradual process and natural talent will certainly expedite the process. Many small taxidermy business' fail within the first 5 years due to poor business practices, improper marketing or just plain lack of talent.

If he is determined to attend a school, the taxidermy forums site has a list of schools on their menu.

Hope this helps,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I pretty much agree with Mary. I went to the Pennsylvania Institute of Taxidermy in 2003. At the time it was the longest school program for taxidermy and the most expensive. Don't know if it still is or how they are doing now. I had very good instructors, some of who are now world and national champions. I was 23 at the time and it was about 25k soup to nuts. People think I'm crazy for spending that kind of money to learn taxidermy. But I could have gone to school for law enforcement for 4 years at 25-30k a year. And no guarantee of a job after. I started my business immediatley after school but I'm not full time even now. I take in a decent amount of work but have another job to help pay the bills. Join your local state organization and go to the show and sit in on seminars and take all the advice mary gave you. I'll never stop doing those things and I'll never stop learning taxidermy, there's just too much to know. There are a lot of world class guys doing one on one classes, but it'll cost you, but I'm a firm beliver in learn by doing. Reading books and magazines and internet posts is fine, but until you do it, it won't make sense. Good luck. Ryan

Posts: 206 | Location: nicholasville, KY | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Send him to this website
free taxidermy videos for begginers

he can get a deer head and follow along

Helping Hand Hangers - Trophy mount hangers for taxidermy

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Yesterdee, I's cuddent spel Taxydermity. Tooday I are one! jumping

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote