THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Hawkins Taxidermy in Winnipeg ?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hawkins Taxidermy in Winnipeg ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have you had anything done by them ? How did you like it and were the prices reasonable ? I'm especially interested in bears. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Black Bear rug done by them three years ago. They also did the skull. Not cheap, But you get what you pay for. They do hundreds of bears a year, so they seem to know what they are doing.

Posts: 115 | Location: mid west | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
They did a nice job on my bear from 2000. It still looks great.

~Ann

Posts: 19213 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
Anyone know what Hawkins charges for a black bear rug? I've got a hunt scheduled fot Oct & I'm thinking my guy here is not worth the trouble. My guy here in Florida wants like $1000 for a bear rug.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
sdeshazo,

A rug should run you anywhere from 125-175/foot. When you begin comparing rugs, be sure to ask the following; Is it a commercial tan or pickled by the shop? Do they use a cast jawset or sculpted? Do they put padding underneath the hide and between the backing? Do they provide 1, 2 or 3 colors of felt? Is the felt sewn or or glued? Do they sew on "D" rings so that you can hang the rug?

You will find that the best, most long lasting rugs are commercially tanned, use a cast jawset, padded, sewn on with 2 or more colors and provide "d" rings. Cheaper rugs are cheaper cause the guy is cutting corners.

I don't know anything about Hawkins, but it sounds like they have a good reputation. Check to see how the US dollar compares to the Canadian dollar and also what shipping will cost you.

By the time you add it all up, it may be just about the same money as having it done here. But you wont know till you ask.

Good luck on your hunt.

Hugh

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hughiam

Hughiam,

Thanks for all the tips on what to look for, that is very good information that I had not thought of.
Now lets hope the hunts is great & I get a nice bear.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It has cost me money over the years, but I believe I am finally seeing the light. My first mistake was in having Hawkins Taxidermy do two caribou for me, following a trip in 1991. While their prices were OK, the shipping cost me plenty. It cost $900 for shipping to get my two heads sent from Winnipeg. The taxidermy was about the same. Looking back on it, I should have brought the capes and split racks home with me and had my local taxi do them for about $400 each. This ends my first lesson.

Never let it be said that I am a quick learner. My second lesson came at the hands of a South African Taxidermist. He did seven heads for me for about $2800 USD. What he lied to me about was how much the shipping would cost. He told me it would be less than $2000. It was twice that. After my second African trip, I had the hides and horns dip/pack/crate and shipped to my taxidermist. My bill for five animals will be a whole lot less than $1000 each and the quality of work is much, MUCH better. Thus endeth lesson number two. The taxidermist in this lesson was IMAGES OF AFRICA, Kevin something or other.

In case you might think that I am a slow learner, but was getting the point, read on. Lesson number three took place in Montana. I took a nice mule deer buck there in 2004. I got talked into using a taxidermist named Linda Ruland, trading as Wolf Mountain Taxidermy. She gave me a decent price for the mount and said that if I paid in full she would ship for free. It is now two years later, and I got a letter yesterday stating that she was out of the business and I should contact the new owners. The end result is that I will be getting my antlers and cape soon, but will have to pay shipping. Thus endeth lesson number three.

I may be a living example of the old adage that says something about money and brains? Oh well. I think I have finally learned my lesson. From now on, my local taxidermist does my work.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote