one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice work Jerry, as we have all leaned to expect.

Man I shot a lot of those big cats at the Rosillas, traps and dogs, The were coming out of the Park from Mexico thu me to Arthur Cavness to Ben Loves Persimmon Gap ranch, then back to Mexico they made about a 125 mile circle every 10 to 14 days and seemed to kill every 3rd day..Southern Lions seldom return to a kill in that area whereas in Idaho, they return several times to a kill?? Probably because there is more deer in the Big Bend area of Texas, and the snow isn't 10 ft. deep is my guess.

I was amazed at the difference in the size and amount of hair these Idaho lions have compared to the Texas cats..

Both beautiful animals in their own right.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Really great looking mount.

Saw Mr. Atkinson's comment, in 2010 the year before I stopped doing the guided javelina hunts I had became acquainted with the Animal Damage Control agent that was trapping predators on the ranch where I did the hunts.

In one of our conversations I asked him about lions on that ranch and he had not trapped any, but the agent that had the area south of him worked a ranch that has a travel corridor across it and in 2008 or 2009, trapped 36 lions in 12 months,

We get reports of them in Archer and Young counties, some pretty reliable but ain't anyone killed one yet or if they have they haven't talked about it.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote