New
Find
Notify
Tools

First full sized mount
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a huge cougar that I got mounted and it will soon be comming home. How do I prevent dermested beetles from ruining it? This will be my first mount and I am a little worried after reading all these posts. about dermested beetle damage. I paid about 3500 for the mount and I still owe a bit on it and I just don't want to have a problem. Cheers Rich

Posts: 27 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
This is a tuff one as you never know when this could happen. I think the main thing is to really keep an eye on your mounts. Look them over real well every now and then. You can also fumigate the room with a bug bomb a few times a year. There are also companies that will treat/clean your trophies.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Call Miller's Trophy Room protection. They will protect your mount against bugs. I had them do the heads I have and they'll be coming back this year to do my new mounts. The mounts look great and they are bug free.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Treat you trophy room with CB80 Extra Fogging Insecticide or Drione dust, both contain pyrethrins. This is pretty good stuff and should rid an infestation. Be careful to avoid direct contact from the CB80 though. The larvae cause the most damage and this product should kill them. No need to hire or pay someone to do what you can do yourself.

Posts: 175 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote