THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    The SA dip and pack company drilled holes in my horns

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SA dip and pack company drilled holes in my horns
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I just got my trophies back and all the horns have small holes drilled through them! About and inch and a half down from all the tips are small 1/16" or so holes drilled through each horn.

I've never had this done to any trophies from Namibia or Zim, is this normal for South Africa?

How do I fill these holes in and hide them?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12595 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Frank

Regular deal -- Apoxy clay in right color smoothed with water is what taxi's use. (It's an epoxy slow cure clay mixture that comes in white on up to black.) Part of the magic performed between when the stuff arrives states side and when our talented artists present you with something ready to hang in your den. Dip & pak does it to tag for i.d. to make sure you get your own stuff.

Cheers!

Barry

Posts: 4862 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those 1/16 holes may be bug holes ? Have a GOOD taxidermist check them out.

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
BNagel has it right. Standard procedure. Consider yourself lucky they used a small bit instead of the big spade bits they sometimes use.

They hang tags from these holes and also the holes are drilled to get insecticide/dip into the horn cores of skulls when the horn sheaths can not be removed

Easy repair with two part epoxy clay or other epoxy putty available from taxidermy supply companies. Mix in dry tempera paints to match the horn color and fill the holes then texture the repair with a small pin or other tool to match the surrounding horn texture.

You can also use wood putty/wood filler available at the hardware store. Paint the finished repair to blend in with the horn or better yet tint the repair material to match the horn color.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
What Grafton said, easy fix with epoxy puddy. We have to do it all the time.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I've never seen this before so I was a little freaked when I saw it.

I'll try the wood filler route and have Wifezilla paint them, she's good at that sort of stuff.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12595 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
After you fill the holes you can lightly sand the wood filler to blend it in. they should disappear

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote