THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    WARNING: Safari Taxidermy & John Baker
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WARNING: Safari Taxidermy & John Baker
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted
In April 2009, I sent a cape buffalo and warthog to John Baker, owner of Safari Taxidermy, for shoulder mounts, along with a zebra skin for a rug. I also sent a deposit of $1,500. John assured me that all of my trophies would be completed by the Fall, which was one of the reasons I had selected him.

By the time Fall came, John became more and more difficult to reach, with almost three months going by before he returned my phone calls. In October he wrote and apologized for not calling or writing, saying that he had, "been to Africa scouting new hunting properties in South Africa in order to book new areas/PH's." Despite promises to keep me informed, I heard from him one other time in November apologizing again and promising me that I would receive everything by mid-December. Nothing ever arrived. Concerned, I then learned that he had vacated his store and was allegedly working from his home.

On December 28, John wrote, "Your trophies are safe and I would like nothing more than to return your trophies to you finished. I can understand that my silence on this matter has not been the best course of action; I do apologize for the way I have handled this matter. The last few months for me have been filled with growing pains, along with other problems. While it is true that we have moved out of the Bear lane building, let me assure you that I will not be going out of business. The move and my current situation is something new to me, but once I am clear of my problem I will have a much stronger business/shop. Please allow me a little time to make this right."

Well, things went downhill from there. One month later, again refusing to call me, he wrote asking for my shipping address. Two months after that, and after many phone calls and emails from me, he wrote simply, "I will be shipping Monday." This was in March. Of course, nothing ever arrived. Bear in mind that I hadn't had a phone call from him for six months – since November 2009 – what little communication from him was by email.

I should point out that my emails and phone messages have been civil, and until the new year, understanding. Recognizing that he was probably not experiencing growing pains, but rather financial issues, I let him know that I would work with him on a solution, but he would have to communicate with me for that to work. No reply. I tried again to reach John by phone and email, sometimes calling every five days and sending an email as well. Still no reply. I wrote him saying that I would fly down and pick up the trophies in whatever condition they were in. No reply. Then ominously my emails started to get rejected by his server.

An internet search revealed that others were having a problem with John. I contacted one fellow who was getting the same treatment as I was. He recommended that I contact a game warden who was speaking to John. This guy was very kind and understanding, and called John on my behalf. The game warden called me back to say that John wouldn't call or write me "on the advice of his lawyer", which was strange since I wasn't suing him, just trying to get my trophies back in whatever condition they were in. The good news was that the game warden had been promised that my trophies were being shipped the following week.

Two weeks later saw my warthog shoulder mount arrive - but nothing else. To John's credit, the warthog looks great, but where are the cape buffalo and zebra rug? When the game warden called to check up on how things had worked out, he became furious that John had deceived him about sending me all of my trophies. Another person said that they saw a zebra skin in his shop last year, and that they presumed it was mine; but for all I know it's rotting in a garage somewhere.

It's now been 15-months. I haven't had a call from John in eight months and my emails are being rejected. His website is a single page without any contact information. A variety of friends have recommended legal action, either suing him or making a criminal complaint for theft, or both. However, I'm not out to make life tough on John – all I really want are the trophies my wife and I took back in 2008. Even if they're not finished; I can always get someone else to complete them.

At this point I'm out of ideas. Notwithstanding the cost of the safari, I spent a small fortune on 'dip and pack' fees, overseas shipping, and of course the money paid to John way back in 2009. I don't even have an address for him (he used to be in Corpus Christi, Texas) or any idea where my trophies are located. Can any of you provide some suggestions on what we should do next?

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go get them.

I had a similar problem and that is how it was resolved.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kim,
I can't imagine what you're going through. I can only recommend getting on a plane and picking them up, rent a car and drive to houston, there are many great taxidermist in houston, Conroe Tax, B&B Tax, that do work for friends of mine. I have mine done in Ft. Worth at Alpine Taxidermy, by Terry Tadsen.

Now, not to be a jerk, but I don't think I would have waited this long, to get upset. If at any moment I felt my taxidermist was sinking, I would have been there in an instant. Hopefully someone down in Corpus will see this and volunteer to help you! I would if I wasn't so far away.

I would sue the sh*t out of him, sounds like someone else already has started the process. I would make his life miserable, because obviously he hasn't been honest with you, so that mean "game on" in my book. You jack with my trophies, and I will make it so you can't apply for a "go phone"!

My brother is an attorney here in Texas, PM me if you want to follow this up with some legal action.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a feeling that suing him will only cost you more money.

I think you should put all of your documentation together and show it to the police. Perhaps a call from them will get your trophies released.

Posts: 11974 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
KPete - Whenever anyone says "let me assure you that I will not be going out of business" (very similar to "we have no plans to lay anyone off") watch out.

I'm 150 miles north of Corpus, but if there is anything I can do, please let me know. I can go get them and I can communicate with you about how to get them to you.

I went through Corpus this last weekend. It has always impressed me as a town that thinks it's a city. 'Full of alcoholic beach bums and homeless drifters. Infrastructure is a wreck.

But you don't care about Corpus, you just want your trophies back and I don't blame you. (Maybe my mouthing off will at least get some AR member in Corpus to respond.)

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go get 'em. I had a very similar problem about 3 years ago...taxidermist did really good work but just would not return calls or emails, kept telling me everything was at the tannery...so I called the tannery and they had received nothing from this guy so I drove from south of Dallas to Atlanta to get my "trophies" and picked up boxes of hides and horns, nothing mounted. Go get'em if you want 'em.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2759 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in Corpus and was astounded by the rate he quoted me for a turkey last december almost $1000.00. Taxidermist down here seem to be informed about what is going on with their competition and I will see if I can get some current contact info for Safari. I took my turkey to Eric Schmidt at Alive Again Recreations and he did a fantastic job.

Sorry to hear you have been having so many problems with one of jerks that are not representative of all folks in Corpus.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TMTAXIDERMY
posted Hide Post
I hate stories like this, but it happens all too often. Puts all taxidermist on the suspicious list!!

Posts: 138 | Location: Dardanelle, Arkansas | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Howdy KPete,

Call me at 972-769-8866. We have common issues with this situtaion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked Eric and a couple other guys down here and no one seems to know where Baker is. There are a lot of pissed off people.

Might check the post office for the forwarding address from his previous location.

Wish I could help you.

Yes the infrastructure in this town is phukt up!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two wardens I talked to at the Corpus office were zero help as was the federal warden. Two weeks later another warden called me and within 24 hours I had my stuff back. The look on Baker's face when I showed up with the warden was priceless but considering the amount of money he swindled out of me, well, I guess I paid for it. Another case where a talented guy would rather screw people than do the right thing.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
Many thanks to everyone who has replied in support of my problems with John Baker, especially Cazador and Oryxhunter for their generous personal offers to help out.

Obviously I am one of many people who have been deceived by John. My wife is crestfallen that she may never see her first African trophy. I feel personally responsible for sending her zebra to John instead of one of the well-known taxidermy outfits. Never again.

As many of you suggested, I have now been in touch with an attorney in Corpus Christi who is prepared to bring civil charges against John - to include the recovery of our trophy fees for each animal, dip and pack fees, shipping charges, customs brokerage costs, a refund of the $1,500 he has of mine, and of course a return of all of our property. The aggregated charges amount to over $10,000 - and that's without any penalties or attorneys fees tacked on, which we will vigorously pursue. The attorney has also suggested meeting with law enforcement to pursue a criminal charge of theft against him.

It's insane that I have to do all of this when all I want is the return of my cape buffalo and my wife's zebra hide, but then John has always betrayed an economy of reason in our business dealings.

John, if you're reading this: Call or write me now and then send my stuff in whatever condition it's in - I don't care at this point if they're complete or not. By doing so you'll save us both a lot of grief. Otherwise, you're about to experience every legal remedy available to me.

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be having an attorney in his area send him a letter with a basic outline of what constitutes Felony Grand Theft and the amount of time in prison that would entail.

But, that's just me. Ask me why the taxidermist who is doing my Cape Buffalo lives four miles from me.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kim,
Go get him, keep us posted how you're kicking his ass! I hate scumbags like this!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow I’m going to rant here a little because after reading all the postings from the internet posse; one might think that I was a piece of shit or scumbag. I am guilty of a few things and one is that I’m pissed off!

For those that can’t find any contact info in my profile on AR or Taxidermy.net(where he posted this as well) my email is safaritaxidermy@gmail.com and here is my # 361-289-5033 and has been for 7 years! I tell everyone I will call when it is ready or if I have questions. In most cases I email questions and photos and have asked customers to do the same.(EDITED as when I originally wrote this it was late) While some of these accusations are true I feel that the omissions make it misleading. I am not going to debate them here, other than to say you cannot please everyone. Anyone in business knows that. Safari Taxidermy is open for business and has been for the last 7 years. Some my not like my prices or the way I do things, but others do and I have a steady flow of work. Mr. Petersen and myself just did not see things the same way and I am sorry for any misunderstandings between us.I would like nothing more than to put this behind us and not cause either of us any more money or grief.

Dogcat- was your “similar problem” with Me? If not please say so because it implies that it was me.

Drewhenrytnt- I’m 1200.00 for turkeys not 1000.00 and if I remember correctly you said you shot it with a 300 mag in the chest. That is a lot of work. If not just replacing the bird using your tail, beard & spurs. If you are astounded at the price you should call around more because some taxidermist are higher than me. Happy to hear Eric took care of you. How about you start a new thread with a picture and price? Also, I can ask around Corpus Christi about Eric, but nobody I know has a clue who he is, So what is you point?

TMTaxidermy- I guess you have never had a problem with a customer?

Tim Pilot- You got mail before I made this post.

Sevenmagltd- What can I say…. Man up and tell us who you are. You say that you live in Giddings,TX. Here is a quote of yours from a 2007 post on AR “ I taught myself taxidermy at 12 years of age, now 40 years later I've got a trophy room with all my special stuff from Mexico to Canada and Africa of course!

2007 post

That would mean that you have been doing taxidermy for longer than I have been alive. You see I am only 42 years old, So at what time did you bring Me work? Do you do taxidermy or do you have others do it from out of town and tell your friends that you do it yourself? You Sir are a liar! I have NEVER in MY life had a Customer come to my shop with a Game Warden! I have had weasels turn me in for things I have not done, only wasting the Wardens time. I think you’re that Banker, who was posing as a taxidermist asking me to do your Leopard at wholesale prices. Then you would not pay me so you called the wardens thinking it would get me in trouble. The Warden showed up by himself and asked about the leopard and I showed him it was mounted and I was just trying to get you to pay for it. Hmmm… am I warm? Should I go on? Even if this is not you, You are the Scumbag for lying!

I have included my Terms and Conditions that I go by in my shop. My normal or estimated turnaround time is 1 year. The only time I have ever quoted 6 months is when I first opened up shop, but when I got busy I changed it to 1 year. Hell it can take me 6 months to get the hides back from the tanners.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
 All work requires a 50% deposit before work is scheduled.

 All deposits and payments are non-refundable. Once a deposit/payment is received, the work is scheduled, skins are sent to tannery and the necessary supplies are ordered, thus costs are incurred.

 Due to many factors out of our control we DO NOT guarantee any dead lines or completion dates. All due dates are estimations.

 Due to the many factors involved that affect the final outcome of your tanned skins, we assume no responsibility for the results of any tanning.

 All prices listed for life-sized mounts include standard habitat. Custom habitats and custom bases are extra.

 All crating and shipping is extra.

 Balance due upon completion. All orders not paid in full within 30 days of notification will be charged a $2.00 per day per piece service/storage fee thereafter. After 90 days the pieces will be the property of SAFARI TAXIDERMY and subject to resale to recover cost of services performed, unless other arrangements have been made.

 All specimens left in our possession without deposit, become the property of SAFARI TAXIDERMY after 30 days.

Now, I’ll get to the point

KPete sent me his shipment in April 09’ and I invoiced him for a payment of 50%. He sent me the payment which I received toward the end of the month. It has only now been 14 months. The Warthog was shipped in good faith without payment of shipping charges or the final 50% and it came back to me. I asked him for his address (it was the same as the first) and reshipped the head,all with in 1 YEAR. By his admission “To John's credit, the warthog looks great” he has the Warthog and is happy with the mount. I had included an invoice in the crate and to date I have not received payment or an offer to pay. Why would I finish or ship more work if I can’t get paid for what I have already sent the man?

KPete send me the 347.50 for the warthog and 80.00 for crating & shipping equaling $427.50

My PayPal account is safaritaxidermy@gmail.com

Tell me(post up) who you want them to go to.

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The plot thickens!!!!

This should be interesting, I've always found when things go like they are supposed to, most people don't get on online forums and raise hell!

John, I don't know you, but it might be time to invest in a secretary. I call my taxidermist whenever I want and he answers, if he want's my 10+ mounts a year. In todays age of technology, if you don't want to be answering the phone, you had better be sending emails everyday.

Just my opinion!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Drewhenrytnt- I’m 1200.00 for turkeys not 1000.00 and if I remember correctly you said you shot it with a 300 mag in the chest. That is a lot of work. If not just replacing the bird using your tail, beard & spurs. If you are astounded at the price you should call around more because some taxidermist are higher than me. Happy to hear Eric took care of you. How about you start a new thread with a picture and price? Also, I can ask around Corpus Christi about Eric, but nobody I know has a clue who he is, So what is you point?

Allow me to put the record straight so all those reading will know the facts.

$1200.00 is a rip off for any turkey mount PERIOD!

I don't own a 300mag. Never have.

I paid $650.00 for my bird and it was FINISHED AND READY TO BE PICKED UP 2 MONTHS AHEAD OF TIME!

Last but not least....nobody in the Coastal Bend area is higher than you. You are delusional sir!

There are a couple of taxidermists in Mississippi that are higher, but they have won and continue to win international awards for their turkeys.

Eric is a first class guy and I'll go ahead and plug his company again.

www.aliveagainrecreations.com

I have yet to run across anyone that has had any kind of problem with Eric. You on the other hand, I have not heard anything great about.

As far as asking around Corpus lets consider what is worse....To be unknown or to be infamous?

Drew

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm curious,if you hire a secretary, who pays for it?

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuckmaxman:
I'm curious,if you hire a secretary, who pays for it?

I would say the customer. After I raise the prices to cover the pay and everything else that is associated with employees.

www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say if you charge $1200 for a turkey and someone thinks it's to much, they should go somewhere else. It's not rocket science. Why bad mouth someone if you think they charge to much. End of story!

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
quote:

I don't own a 300mag. Never have.

Just to let ya'll know I wasn't even hunting turkey at the time. I was sitting in a blind hoping for a fat whitetail doe to walk out or one of the ginormous hogs I had seen on this ranch. Weapon...375 H&H Federal 260gr Accubond.
Distance about 100yds and closing....he was running full throttle.

Drew

Like I said "if I remember correctly". I am sorry Sir I was mistaken, it was a 375 H&H

I did a quick internet search and found someone at 1495.00 but it really does not matter.

Congratulations on your bird and a taxidermist that you are happy with. I have never had a bad thing to say about Eric and anyone needing a bird taxidermist would do just fine in choosing him for work.

www.safaritaxidermy.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If y'all are curious, this is why my taxidermist is about 3.5 miles from my driveway. He is charging me just a few hundred dollars less than the turkey here to do my Cape Buffalo head&shoulder mount. With the back half, it would be about a hundred dollars more. Nine months from drop off to pickup.

Always get references and check them out.

JP sounds like his business and personal motto is "DILLIGAF".

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To fellow AR members, The only thing JP said true is that I am now in banking and live in Giddings. Don't understand why he thinks that was a secret.
If anyone wants the truth they are welcome to pm me. I think KPete, myself and a lot of other people have had the same issues with JP.
That should be warning enough. I will not debate this person on the internet.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sevenmagltd.:
To fellow AR members, The only thing JP said true is that I am now in banking and live in Giddings. Don't understand why he thinks that was a secret.
If anyone wants the truth they are welcome to pm me. I think KPete, myself and a lot of other people have had the same issues with JP.
That should be warning enough. I will not debate this person on the internet.

Well, The only secret is your real name, that is fine we can keep it that way. But I have sent you a PM. I know what your real name is but I wanted to see if you had the balls to post it.

You see I have only had one customer that I know of in the last 7 years that lived in Giddings.

He was a banker and he called the wardens on me. In your own words you said you have been doing your own taxidermy for 40 years. In this thread you say I have swindled you out of money, for work you had me do.

What lie are you going to stick with?

Are you a taxidermist?

Or did I do your work?

www.safaritaxidermy.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is quite interesting. I don't know anyone involved. I have a few observations.

If you don't like Mr. Baker's prices, don't use him. It doesn't make him a crook.

It would alarm me if I couldn't get a return phone call or return e mail from my taxidermist. It would especially alarm me if the e mails were being kicked back. This isn't good business no matter what business you are in.

Telling a client that something will be done by a certain date, then not having it ready while receiving no communication is really bad business. Again, no matter what business you are in.

If I were Kpete, I may or may not have paid the balance on the warthog depending on what I thought was happening on the buffalo which he presumably paid a deposit on.

Heck, 14 months would not bother me at all. I am still waiting on 2 leopards from 07. I know when mine do arrive, they will be perfect. Plus my taxidermist never told me when they would be ready. It takes him a long time but his work is great. I am willing to wait.

No good ever comes out of having an unhappy customer, no matter what the reason. In order to make the client happy, why don't you give Kpete his stuff back or show him evidence of progress. For example photos. Also a good faith estimate of when the buff will be ready.

Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 11974 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great post Larry!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
You all will have to excuse me as I've been away on business for the past several days. So, imagine my surprise to find the elusive John Baker finally resurfacing! Mr. Baker was kind enough to send me a terse email yesterday in tandem with his responses here on AR. Inasmuch as this issue has gone public - and obviously it was the only means by which I could get a response from John - I owe those who are following this matter my perspective on John's public comments.

quote:
Originally posted by J P Baker:
Wow I’m going to rant here a little because after reading all the postings from the internet posse; one might think that I was a piece of shit or scumbag. I am guilty of a few things and one is that I’m pissed off!

For those that can’t find any contact info in my profile on AR or Taxidermy.net(where he posted this as well) my email is safaritaxidermy@gmail.com and here is my # 361-289-5033 and has been for 7 years! I tell everyone I will call when it is ready or if I have questions. In most cases I email questions and photos and have asked customers to do the same.(EDITED as when I originally wrote this it was late)

Apart from the fact that John is pissed off by my post, he insinuates that he is but an email or phone call away from answering the questions or concerns of his customers. In my case at least, nothing could be farther from the truth. My emails have been rejected by his server for months, and having saved all such correspondence, I would be happy to reprint the rejection notices here should he elect to dispute this. As to his phone number remaining the same for seven years, suffice it to say that I have called him over 25 times (I have the dates and times) since November 2009 and he has never called me back. Never. The last time we spoke on the phone was almost eight months ago.

quote:
While some of these accusations are true I feel that the omissions make it misleading. I am not going to debate them here, other than to say you cannot please everyone. Anyone in business knows that. Safari Taxidermy is open for business and has been for the last 7 years. Some my not like my prices or the way I do things, but others do and I have a steady flow of work. Mr. Petersen and myself just did not see things the same way and I am sorry for any misunderstandings between us.I would like nothing more than to put this behind us and not cause either of us any more money or grief.

Misleading omissions? Please, John, feel free to "debate" them here! And what didn't we see eye-to-eye on? Hell, I haven't heard from you in over half a year. And where is the disagreement? Having been as fair as I could be in depicting the sorry history of my business dealings with you, I'd really like to know what I may have left out. If I've been deceptive or selective in recounting what has taken place, don't hold back and tell your side of the story. The last thing I want is to be anything but objective and reasonable in trying to resolve this matter.

quote:
Now, I’ll get to the point

KPete sent me his shipment in April 09’ and I invoiced him for a payment of 50%. He sent me the payment which I received toward the end of the month. It has only now been 14 months. The Warthog was shipped in good faith without payment of shipping charges or the final 50% and it came back to me. I asked him for his address (it was the same as the first) and reshipped the head,all with in 1 YEAR. By his admission “To John's credit, the warthog looks great” he has the Warthog and is happy with the mount. I had included an invoice in the crate and to date I have not received payment or an offer to pay. Why would I finish or ship more work if I can’t get paid for what I have already sent the man?

KPete send me the 347.50 for the warthog and 80.00 for crating & shipping equaling $427.50

My PayPal account is safaritaxidermy@gmail.com

Tell me(post up) who you want them to go to.

Maybe I'm a little thick, or perhaps this is the way the taxidermy business works, but I'm baffled at John's calculus. I provided him with a cape buffalo and warthog for a shoulder mount each, and a zebra skin for a rug. The total cost was to be $3,000, all inclusive. Despite whatever he may have on his price sheet, he promised that all of my order would be ready by November 2009; he was told that his ability to complete the trophies in that period was the principle reason for my selecting him. He later changed the delivery date to "not later than mid-December" 2009. John, would you like me to post some quotes that substantiate this?

Five months late, I received the warthog. He still has my $1,500 and my two other trophies - and now he says that I owe him more money. He has acknowledged that the cape buffalo and zebra are not completed and that he will forward them to another taxidermist to be finished. So, according to my math, John wants $1,927.50 for the warthog shoulder mount. And by the way, John, there was no invoice, note, bill of lading, or anything included with the warthog. Nothing - and I have two witnesses that were there when it was opened. And I called you that day to acknowledge receipt of the mount and left a message asking if the other two trophies were enroute, and if so, would you please fax or email me an invoice so I could affect immediate payment. I received no reply, as usual.

As I mentioned, John sent me an angry email yesterday where he said in part, "All I want is to get paid for the warthog and return your other trophies. You told me in the past that you wanted them shipped or taken to another taxidermist in Texas but you still have not said Who?". So it seems that I will have to pay $1,927.50 for a completed warthog shoulder mount and the return of my incomplete buffalo and zebra, which will have to be finished by another taxidermist.

John hasn't called me to sort this out, though one person has kindly offered to mediate the matter. So there you have it. My only hope is to receive my trophies back in whatever condition they may be in and, if possible, not pay extortionate costs for their recovery. As I said before, John is a talented taxidermist, but obviously that talent doesn't extend to customer relations or business matters.

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Communication is the lifeline of business. So are good customer relations skills.
This is why you get everything in writing before you sign a contract or pay a dime down.

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
Well, there's a new development in this saga.

I just spoke with a friend of John who told me that I might see my remaining trophies completed and shipped to me by 1 August. If John and I can come to some verifiable agreement in the next 24 hours, maybe we can put this behind us.

Stay tuned ...

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KPete:

John, if you're reading this: Call or write me now and then send my stuff in whatever condition it's in - I don't care at this point if they're complete or not. By doing so you'll save us both a lot of grief. Otherwise, you're about to experience every legal remedy available to me.

Kpete That is your quote. This is not the first time you have asked this of me,So all I said is, if that is what you want then tell me Who? I have also said as you quoted me "I would like Nothing more then to finish your trophies and return them to you FINISHED." I have NEVER said I was taking them to anyone!

The invoice for your trophies dated 4/14/09 is and has been, $1200.00 Zebra rug, $1250.00 Cape Buff shoulder mount, TBD - Back Hide(never have received instruction but I think it was said, because you are not sure if you want it done.) $695.00 Warthog shoulder mount, No Charge on the Warthog skull(no panel). That is a total of 3145.00 not including shipping.

On the invoice dated 4/14/09 You paid the first payment with check #5727 in the amount $1572.50
(I have included your check # in-case you need to verify)

The balance at that point would leave 1572.50

If you have an invoice different than this Please email my a copy to safaritaxidermy@gmail.com

As KPete said someone has contacted him to mediate. I have had my phone ring of the hook and email box load up with offers to help. Thank you for all the offers.

www.safaritaxidermy.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JP,

I would guess that balance due would be due when you have done the work; not when you have returned it undone.

Take this chance to set the record straight: what work have you actually done on the trophies besides the Warthog? Have you finished the tanning? Do you have the styrofoam mount for the Buffalo in your shop? Have you started on it?

What have you actually done?

just curious...

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First, I have been in contact with Mr.Petersen via email 3 times today and with the help of a mediator we are coming to some agreements.

NOTHING has been returned unfinished! NOTHING!

I'm sorry guys ,I'm not very eloquent in my writing, so I hope I don't offend everybody.

www.safaritaxidermy.com

One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, as is apparent from this and John's previous emails, it does not appear that we will reach any agreement outside of a courtroom.

Mr. Baker's insinuations that I have withheld payments, deposits, or what have you, and that somehow it is my fault for not receiving responses to my dozens of emails and phone calls, let alone receiving my trophies when promised, make it clear that we will not amicably resolve this issue despite my best efforts and that of others.

There will be some additional news on this matter late next week, and I will keep everyone posted.

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is my last email to Mr.Petersen. He sent me 1 through 5 and I edited them to what I could do. You guys tell me if this is fair.

Mr. Petersen,

1. Your Buffalo shoulder mount will be completed in its entirety and ready to ship no later than 15 August 2010. The Zebra was sent out for binding so I do not have control over their completion dates but I have asked if they can move it up.

2. (you will abide by the terms and conditions of our previous agreements);Not sure what they are at this point So, I would say we are working on New Terms and conditions.

3. The amount due on the balance is $1722.50 when you add the 150.00 for the skull, So I'm not sure how you get (i.e., $1,645.00). I'm fine with this statement (will be sent only after a third party has inspected and approved that they are completed to an acceptable standard and are ready to ship – no monies will be sent between now and then) They will not ship until the final payment clears my bank. If you chose to send payment to the mediator that is fine but, I will not pay any fees he might charge.

4. (To ensure that this deadline is met, you agree that the balance due Safari Taxidermy shall be reduced by 7.5% (i.e., $1,500 x 7.5% = $112.50) for each week the shipment is delayed for any reason being sent following the 1 August deadline; ) . No

5. (Upon receiving the trophies, I will revert to you payment within seven days of any shipping charges per the conditions stipulated below.) No.

6. In reply to #4 & 5. To ensure that this deadline is met, I agree that the balance due Safari Taxidermy shall be reduced by 5% (i.e., $1,500 x 5% = $75.00) for each week the Cape Buff is not completed. I will not be responsible in the event the mediator or you are unavailable to inspect, approve or receive notification that the mount is acceptable. Once they are completed and crated you will be responsible for the shipping charges. I can provide you with crate info so you can arrange a pickup with whatever shipping company you choose or I can arrange pickup but you will need to arrange payment directly with the shipping company.

7. (e.g., returning phone calls and emails within 48 hours) I will do my best but, I do not have cell/internet service out side the U.S. The reason for your email bouncing is not from me blocking them. I did have the website moved from one server to another and this started the problem with emails bouncing. I was told that someone on the same server was sending out spam, so the whole server was blacklisted, I have no control over that nor was I aware. I have since changed the email address to deal with the problem and I did send out emails to everyone on my list to notify them of the situation. Web guys are slow.

8. Not sure what other forums you posted on but I would like to know. You also need to return to them to post that we are in contact.

9. I will post photos on AR when it is complete

Thank You,
John Baker
Safari Taxidermy
www.safaritaxidermy.com

www.safaritaxidermy.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The invoice for your trophies dated 4/14/09 is and has been, $1200.00 Zebra rug, $1250.00 Cape Buff shoulder mount, TBD - Back Hide(never have received instruction but I think it was said, because you are not sure if you want it done.) $695.00 Warthog shoulder mount, No Charge on the Warthog skull(no panel). That is a total of 3145.00 not including shipping.

On the invoice dated 4/14/09 You paid the first payment with check #5727 in the amount $1572.50

I have no dog in this fight as I do not know either party, but now it seems there are new charges being added on here from the original terms. The terms as quoted by JP Baker are above with an balance due of $1,572.50 but now that amount has increased to $1,722.50. Why?

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Culpepper:
quote:

I have no dog in this fight as I do not know either party, but now it seems there are new charges being added on here from the original terms. The terms as quoted by JP Baker are above with an balance due of $1,572.50 but now that amount has increased to $1,722.50. Why?

Hi David:

When John started to miss deadlines in November 2009, he said that he would provide me with the warthog skull bleached and with molded replicas of the original tusks at no charge. Unprompted and in an attempt to be as fair as possible, yesterday I offered to pay John $150 for the warthog skull, knowing that he is probably experiencing financial issues. He didn't seem all that impressed with my offer, but did immediately add the $150 to the balance due.

As I mentioned in my previous post, this will all get sorted out very quickly. It won't be cheap, but few lessons in life are.

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply KPete as I was curious on the different price. Years ago I had difficulty with a couple of taxidermist myself and even put a local DA onto one of them to get the issue resolved, the taxidermist disappeared with my stuff and deposits but I was able to track him down. I really lost a lot of trust with the taxidermy business that is until I found my current taxidermist who is a great guy.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to give my impressions of this whole fiasco, and hope to be objective. A first, but here I go.

KPete paid the requested 50% down some time ago.
Half of the cost of a Cape Buffalo mount, a Wart Hog mount, and a Zebra rug with backing.

He has received the Wart Hog mount.
There is a balance of a couple hundred dollars due.
There is no dispute over this area.

KPete has had problems communicating since late fall of 2009 with John Baker.

John has acknowledged some Email issues and says he has fixed that problem.

The Zebra rug is off somewhere for backing due to some health issues with John's wife who was to do the work. Understandable.

The rub seems to be mostly John's problem with taking a few minutes to update KPete on what is going on, and the timing of the payments.

I took a few minutes to ask my Taxidermist and checked with several prominent ones here.

Standard terms seem to be fifty-percent down, and the rest on completion of the work. That due before shipment or upon pickup.

My opinion; John needs to take a class in consumer relations. He has had to take a hundred times as much time to deal with this here and elsewhere as it would have to have given KPete even a monthly five minutes on the phone.

My guy here deals 80% of the time with locals, within an hour drive of his shop. He has had his shop in a building next to the Archery shop/range so it is convenient for bow hunters to stop by and have a cold one of an evening before he heads home.

John: if I were you I would work on communicating with my customers better/more frequently. You could have avoided this.

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have had my phone ring of the hook and email box load up with offers to help.

From the sound of it, your phone and email have been going off the hook for the last eight months with Kim's repeated attempts to contact you, to no avail or attempt to communicate with your customer. You simply chose to ignore.. Why the change of heart now that this has come to public eye and are now fielding all calls and emails?
Now it gets to be aired out for all to see on a VERY public forum. Bad move.

Sorry to hear about all of this, Kim. I hope it gets ironed out for you in the end.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
"It has only now been 14 months."

That pretty much says it all.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote