New
Find
Notify
Tools

crocodile head/shoulder?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 13 foot croc being shipped back from a Mozambique hunt in September 2006. It's taken a long time to get from camp to RSA. It has yet to be tanned. Assuming it hasn't putrefied, I am considering my options.
I was considering a rug, but on searching this forum, hanging it on a wall doesn't seem to be a good option. I really don't have room for a life-size.
Does anyone have photos of a croc head/shoulder mount? Has anyone used head/shoulder emerging from water?
I'm just not sure what to do with this guy.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I am guessing you have the skull, I'd clean the skull and hang a trophy photo next to the skull.

I'd get the skin chrome tanned into croc leather and use it for all my croc skin needs.

Wife might want a purse, or a pair of shoes, and you could have a nice pair of boots, a belt, and enough left over for several book covers, wallets, and other misc paraphalia.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Marty,

I have seen the mounts you have in question at taxidermy conventions. Sorry I do not have pictures.

A swimming croc's head just above water is an attractive mount as is a head only, head and one leg, or a half body vertical leap, out of water, to grap a bird, monkey, etc., from a low branch. Both of these mounts would take up 1/4 to 1/3 of the linear floor space that a full mount or rug would require.

Shame to waste a whole croc on just a skull mount. JMO

Kind regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
have you considered the option of a full mount in curled position?from a 13 feet croc you can cut in this way maybe 5 or 6 feet... and the best croc mout I'v ever see is in this position.

D.V.M.

Posts: 179 | Location: Italy | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
<The Artistry of Wildlife>
posted
Try a wall hanging FULL MOUNT it needs no base and it is a swimming pose that hangs on the wall with the head swept out striking
Contact me
www.artistryofwildlife.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post

When (and if) I have a my croc this is the pose I would use.. whit a more open mouth of course...
and maybe whit a cast head for have a nice display of the skull

D.V.M.

Posts: 179 | Location: Italy | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The curled postition of the croc in the pic is one I have never seen but it looks good, I do really like it. However, at $400+ a foot that 13 ft croc will cost the better part of a 10 day buffalo hunt in Zim if you add the 2k trophy fee. Too much for my pocket book. I like D99's idea.

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote