THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    How to clean pickup warthog tusks?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to clean pickup warthog tusks?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any advice on what solution to boil them in or scrub them with?

Posts: 1496 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kevin, I have used something like oxyclean on several occasions. Make up a fairly concentrated solution and soak the tusks for about an hour. If they are really crusty on the inside you may have to repeat the process. Once in awhile a little touch with an old tooth brush is needed but not very often. I usually am able to just rinse the tusks good after an hour and am done.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Posts: 1496 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
to keep them from cracking fill them with 2 part epoxy or bondo.
dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Another way I've used for pig tusks to stop them from cracking is to stuff them with cotton wool till about 1/4 inch from the top pour in some cooking oil and seal to the top with candle wax. I've had tusks last 2 years so far without drying out.

Posts: 8006 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bakes, That sounds like a good idea. All I have done in the past is just soak them in mineral oil about every 12 months. I do the same thing with canines from bears etc. I have only ever had one crack. But your method seems much better in the long run.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Mike

I pack about 2 cotton balls in them. You have to tease them apart then I use a satay stick to pack it in.

The oil comes through the tusk and gives it a nice sheen as well.

Posts: 8006 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote