Find
Notify
Tools

Broken skull repair
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted
Anybody have a good glue to repair a broken Hartebeest skull?
Thanks.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
TJ,

Firstly, I am not a taxidermist so take this reply forwhat its worth! Big Grin

For minor repairs to some roe European skull mounts, I have used ordinary super glue and it seems to work ok.

How extensively is the skull damaged? If its very bad, you might want to use someting like expoxy "putty" on the inside to provide additional support/strength.

Colour can be added to the eppoxy using ordinary paints...I think I used some oil paints, but experiment a little first...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
quote:
For minor repairs to some roe European skull mounts, I have used ordinary super glue and it seems to work ok.

I used gel super glue to repair a badger skull. I was strongly reccomended (either here or on a Swedish forum) to use the gel super glue, not the ordinary. It worked fine for me.

Regards,
Martin

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. Here's a bad pic of the skull.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted Hide Post
I would agree with dogcatcher.
Theres a few 2 part epoxies that will do that job.

Animal Art Taxidermy.

Posts: 227 | Location: Australia. | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always use Elmers Glue, never had a problem. Not a Taximan but have an extensive skull collection due to my in Rabies Lab and that is how I always put everyone back together

Posts: 132 | Location: MA | Registered: 30 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Use a good two part epoxy, or fiberglass reinforced resin. You may even want to drill a hole and use a short dowel or metal rod to pin it. When it is dry, hide the seam as described above. Elmers glue is no good for this IMO. For small repairs or gluing teeth it may be okay but I would not rely on it to hold the weight of that horn. Good luck.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
A good body fiberglas resin wirh fiberglas chopped matting in it would work great, fill both peices with the mixture and push together. There is enough ruff edges to bond the two pieces together by themeselves. Clean off all excess with acetone. When dry if needed touch up wit a flat white satin finish spray paint.

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote