New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knives and sharpening?
 Login/Join

<bjk>
posted
I know this is off topic, but I wondered what everyone used to keep there knives very sharp. I was thinking of getting one of the electronic Chef's Choice sharpeners, or maybe one of the Lanskey diamond setups. Any tips or experience appreciated. I have several steels, from stainless to D2.

Thanks
Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Lansky system of 5 different gritts of stones. It has a guide that forces you to keep on the correct angle so you don't waste metal or time when you do sharpen your knife. After I get through with the tones, I use a old leather belt pulled tight to strop the knife, like the barbers do. I can always shave the hair on my arm after I get through with this setup. Also, I usually have to do a bunch of knives when in camp every year. You do need to start off with a good quality knife,I have a Buck XX and it will hold a good edge for quite a while.

Posts: 428 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Rawhider>
posted
Different strokes for different folks -I glue a 4" by 8" strip of wet or dry aluminum oxide paper to a piece of glass or something real flat,I have 400 grit ,600 grit,crocus cloth,then final is a leather strop with J-B bore compound rubbed in it.
This is done free hand,I felled timber for some years and those years of freehand hand filing helped me hold the angle I want which varies with the original grind or type of knife and it's use- Rawhider

one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife got one of those electric sharpeners as a gift. It has three different phases that you use on a knife the first time you sharpen with it. After that you just use the polishing phase.
It works like a dream. I would have never imagined it could get a knife as sharp as it does, and they hold the edge very good.
I have used the Lansky system for years and still use it on my field knives, but I gotta tell ya that electric sharpener will spoil you.
The downside is that you usually dont have an electric plug in while in the field.
HTH

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
We use up a lot of knives each year skinning hundreds of animals. I have worn out every kind cheap sharpening system out there. The best thing I have found is a 1" table top belt sander. Use a 220 grit belt, it will cut your initial angle quickly and then you can hone the edge with a good slick steel and then strop with leather for the razor edge. I just use the steel. You can by these little sanders for about 45.00 at any Home Depot or like store. The only thing to look out for is to make sure and not get the steel to hot or you'll ruin the temper of the steel. Be gentle when you first start and you'll be shocked at how fast you can sharpen a knife. I have to sharpen a knife quickly and get back to work, I don't have time to set down and work a stone or go through the Lanskey process. I can have a dull knife shaving in about 2 minutes with this system.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
<bjk>
posted
Thanks for the responses. I may be leaning away from the electric sharpener toward the sharpening wheel systems. Has anyone heard of these, or used them? Some of the experiences I've read with these have been pretty good...any thoughts

Wheel Sharpening System

Thanks again for the info...

Brian

[ 11-26-2002, 21:17: Message edited by: bjk ]

one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
I have been using the paper wheel system for about four years. I love it! I have them set up on a standard grinder.

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote