Notify
Tools

Taxidermist Strategy?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,

I am interested to find some information about how people are strategizing

1) How to decide what animals are mounted? Any what kind of mount?

I guess what I am saying is, starting today, how would you plan your trophy room? My dream is a super slam of sheep, and I want to plan how my trophy room will look, and intergrate together 40 years from now.

The same could be said for Africa, if you started today, how/what configuration would you mount the animals?

Thanks

Posts: 186 | Location: langley,BC | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Many people mount the largest of their trophies. Even more hunters mount the ones that are the most memorable.

Bottom line: It's a very personal decision for each hunter and that's the beauty of it... it's your choice.

As to the type of mounts it seems that people get the more unusual stuff done life sized and some of the really handsome stuff too (like bushbuck or nyala), especially the smaller species. If you could find a way to do one of the huge displays with the full body mounted sheep that is seriously cool.

I hope you have considerable cash reserves. A Super Slam plus a trophy room full of African stuff will have a formidable price tag.

First off get a vasectomy. Wink
A wife, kids and a mortgage tend to change the dreams of hunters.

All the best,

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
My two cents... I would try and avoid too much of the same thing. Try and choose something slightly different for each mount. If you do shoulder mounts do some with a right turn, some with a left turn, and some looking straight on. Mix in a few full body mounts for those truly special animals or special memories. Too many life-sized mounts tends to look more like a museum to me than a trophy room. Put some of those life-sized mounts on the floor and have some that can hang on the wall. Do a few pedestal mounts and try and place them where they can be viewed from all sides. Mix in a few skull mounts, skins, curios, plants, photos, and art. Put in a lot of thought towards lighting. There is a lot to think about but overall do what you like as it is a room for you. As someone mentioned on another thread about tropy rooms, take a look at the Great Hunters books. Volumes one through four from Safari Press. You can look through these and see what you like and dislike about certain rooms. Above all make sure the taxidermy is good!

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great info guys, exactly the type of opinons I am looking for,

thanks

Posts: 186 | Location: langley,BC | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted Hide Post
I would also look for a taxidermist willing to mount the 'usual' creatures in different ways/positions/behaviours.
Might cost a bit more but worth it i think.

If i could afford the 'african trophy room' i'd like, i'd incorporate full habitat to the floor, walls, plants ect ect.

Animal Art Taxidermy.

Posts: 227 | Location: Australia. | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Maxx,

I get everything shoulder mounted. Exceptions being for rare, exotic, and expensive animals like lion, leopard, North American sheep, argali, ibex, takin, bongo, mountain nyala, and bears (none of which I've been able to afford to hunt yet). I'm at the same stage you are, planning my trophy room for down the road. I have a general idea in my mind of what I want adopted from the trophy rooms I've seen and my own ideas. Hopefully one day I'll have the means to change it from a dream into my trophy room. The one thing about life ,though, is it's unexpected and sudden. If you shoot an animal and you want a life-size mount, go for it as you may never get that chance again.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote