New
Find
Notify
Tools

dog bones
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want to make dog bones out of deer hide. Can any one tell me how to do this? Thanks for your time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Flesh the hide completely. Soak the fleshed deer hides in a solution of hydrated lime and water (cover completely) until the hide swells and the hair slips easily (3-10 days depending on temperature). Pull off all of the hair and discard it. Next, soak the hide for at least 24 hours in clean water, changing the water several times if possible. This brings the hide from alkaline back to neutral.

From there, wring the hide of excess water, cut it into whatever shapes you want, and dry.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. I am assuming that you have done this and it hasn't harmed your dogs? Thank you for your time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My dogs prefer these over the rawhide bones from the store - and it's a good way to put hides to use. As long as you leech the lime back out of the hide with the clean water soak, it won't harm your dog. That's why I would change the water several times just to be sure that the hide comes back to a neutral ph.

Don't worry if these come out a little on the tan side vs the nice bleached rawhide bones you get at the pet store.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote