Find
Notify
Tools

Tanning Hides
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted
I've got a Bobcat hide that I want to tan & have hear of the brain process. Anyone heard of this & can give me some details. I'm wanting a nice soft hide that will last.

Thanks for the help.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brain tanning can be done with the hair on-but I think it takes more skill and practice. The natives obviously did hair on and I've seen some museum specimens that were over 100 years old. I doubt it will work well for you. I've only brain tanned one hide and although it turned out nice I wouldn't recomend it for a hide you care about. I also didn't try with the hair on. Send it to a tannery, and if you want to try the process use a deer or something plentiful. You can find all you want about brain tanning if you google it.

Good luck!

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have a garment tan on a Bobcat if you want it really soft but not for a mount.

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of madabula
posted Hide Post
John: Any reason why you want to brain tan the bobcat? It's not a terribly hard process but it is messy and not as well suited for fur as for leather such as buckskin. Mike@mikescustomtaxidermy.com

Posts: 290 | Location: louisville ky | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
madabula... I don't.

sdeshazo is the one asking about brain tan.

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'd be way ahead to flesh it out real good, dry it, brush it etc and send it to a full blown tannery to tan it.

That way it'll keep for ever. Do it yourself, or 90% of the taxidermists jobs lose ears, toes and lips within ten yrs.

After having Dad's bear and my bobcat, uncle's deer all lose these parts because they were done by the mounter.

I'll never let another taxidermist tan any hide for me again. Not when a cat only costs about $25 plus postage by Moyle Tanners.

Yeah I know, I've insulted all you guys. No need to bitch back at me cause it won't do any good. am sure you'll be telling about how many you've done have lasted 30-100 yrs and are still perfect.

That's just my own limited experience and reasons.

AND my recommendations too.

Wish you well, IF done right and soaked long enough I agree they can and will/may last a long time.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6019 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote