THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Good Taxidermist in WY OR maybe Denver-ish

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Taxidermist in WY OR maybe Denver-ish
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Going hunting in WY next month and I am still undecided on what I want to do for taxidermy if I am lucky. I have a taxidermist back here in PA that I use, but I am considering leaving things out there to be mounted, even though I am driving and could bring them back with me. Anyone have any suggestions or possible websites I could check out for that area?
Thanks

Posts: 168 | Location: SW PA | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
scupltor that posts here is in Cody, here is his website.

http://www.jamesmarsico.com/

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Culpepper:
scupltor that posts here is in Cody, here is his website.

http://www.jamesmarsico.com/

thumb

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
What area of Wyoming? I can heartedly recommend Ray Hatfield of Nature's Design in Cody, WY www.naturesdesigntaxidermy.com

I am anxiously awaiting my mountain lion which is being done by Richard Rhoades. Richard also operates the game processing plant in Jackson. His e-mail address is rcrhoades@rangeweb.net I've seen his deer and he is good. I'll get the mountain lion next week and will report.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I was actually already looking into natures design so its good to get some feedback on them.

Also Mr. Marsico seems to be highly talented too.

I will be hunting a buffalo in Cheyenne which I will probably not mount, but I was thinking full rug and skull cleaned and mounted. Then antelope, mule deer, and maybe coyote in Riverton. Cody is kinda the wrong way, but I am still considering driving up there before swinging back down to Cheyenne to pick up my meat and shoot across Neb. on my way back to PA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One more in Cody Smiler

http://www.deweywildlife.com/

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although Cody seems like the way to go right now, Denver would be a lot more convenient saving me a ton of driving. So if there is somebody down toward Cheyenne/Denver that would be better travel wise.
Thanks again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would make the time to go to Cody. While your there you can also hit the firearms museum.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Let me ask you something: what do your think about the work you've been getting in Pennsylvania?

There are supremely skilled artisans all across this country, all vying for your money. If you aren't overly impressed with your guy's work, then by all means find one of these highly qualified guys to do your work. If, however, you'd like some better "control" of your piece and want to make some imputs or protect yourself if it "goes bad", there's a lot to be said about bringing it home with you.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good suggestion on the museum mike....

And good points to think about too Geroge.

The turkey, and whitetail work I get done here in PA has been great. I have seen a few other animals done at the shop too, but not and mule deer or antelope. That is why I am a little hesitant even though I am sure everything will work out ok anyway. Other than that, it is just the hassle or bringing all the capes and skulls home with me while keeping them in good condition that I am worried about.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
bear in mind that if you have the work done in Wy. you will pay an additional $400-500 to have the finished product crated and shipped to Pa. since you can carry the raw skins and skulls back with you, unless you are dissatisfied with local work or it is much more expensive, why have it done out west and incur the extra costs?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13238 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the kind words. Cody and in fact all Sportsmen are very blessed to have several top taxidermists in this small town area. We all depend heavily on out of state and a repeat client base. All of us even have clients from other areas of the country that send us in trophies from their home states and other parts of the world. One of my very best clients is Mr. Yves Burris of Geneva Switzerland. A standard charge for a deer or antelope crate is $50 to $75. Elk crates 150. and multiple mounts in one crate is a easy and common practice. Most shops like mine have special high discount arrangements in place with truck frieght companies. I just last week shipped three seperate elk shoulder mounts to different locations in the USA. All three cost about 250. each, one a little less to Ohio. One to Texas and one to Mich. All pronghorn and some mule deer mounts can be shipped Fed Ex or UPS very reasonably. Overall crate size is the issue. For those wanting to take trophies home to a favorite taxidermist most all Western shops offer complete caping, fleshing and cleaning services at reasonable fee. Skull plates have to be cleaned of all meat and meat must be boned to cross many state lines because of CWD laws.

Posts: 727 | Location: Cody Wyoming | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
CRATE $150, SHIPPING $250-TOTAL $400. see original post.and i seriously doubt you will find inspectors at the state lines between Wyo. and Pa. pulling over cars/trucks and inspecting cargo. could be wrong, though-wouldn't be the first time.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13238 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray Hatfield of Nature's Design in Cody.

Posts: 296 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote