New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zimbabwe Taxidermy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with Taxidermy Enterprises in Bulawayo?

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MAU MAU
posted Hide Post
Before I went to Zimbabwe in September, I attempted to contact Taxidermy Enterprises several time's without any luck. I e-mailed Swainson's in Dande who own T.E., and I finally received a response. I have seen video footage of the shop, and based on seeing that, in my opinion, it looked very disorganized and dirty. I personally think you may be better off having your safari company ship your trophys to a Taxidermist outside Zimbabwe. You may want to do a search on AR to see if there is anyone who has actually had some recent work done there.

Posts: 227 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a civet cat over there that they mounted because it has to come back here mounted. As soon as the US required that they raised their price by 200. It has taken almost 2 years to get it done. The word I get from jumbo & clive hallamore is that they were all f__ked up there but have gotten things straighten up now. I haven't gotten the civet back yet, its been done for a couple months but I 've got a pair of ele tusks and some hides that need shipping at the same time. So far as I can see they are getting a bit greedy. For myself, I'd bring it back here for mounting

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo, Butchloc ... I noticed that you mentioned Clive Hallamore ??? He guided my son and I back in '96 when he was working for Roger Whittal on the Humani .. He was only 21 back then .. How is he doing ??? (Back then his girl friend called him 'Petal' and I tried my best to tell all concerned that was not a good name for a white hunter !!!) shame clap

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've got a civet cat over there that they mounted because it has to come back here mounted.

Butchloc,

Why did the Civet have to come to the US mounted?

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Me and a friend used them in 1999. I had an impala and warthog shouldermounted. My buddy had a Kudu, a warthog, an impala shouldermounted, a zebra rug and we both had a few skulls bleached. The mounts are still looking great 7 years later.

HOWEVER a lot has changed over in Zim since then. I would be cautious using any service in Zim or even going there to hunt nowdays.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Civets dont have to be mounted before import into the US. They amongst other species ( Primates,porcupines, genets and some squirrels) require a CDC permit from Dept of Health in Georgia.

I do my own pack & dip in Zim - its small. private and quick.

Muvhimi

Posts: 81 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Muvhimi!

Thank you! I was waiting to heare his response to the question.

Aisan Civets can't be imported

The African ones need, as Muvhimi said, a CDC permit and the skins must be clean of all fat and meat, and the skulls must be completely clean.

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kensco,
Used Taxidermy Enterprises for all my mounts in 05. Could not have been happier, you can see the results on gatrophy room (AR Trophy Room forum). I went to their Studio before I contracted with them to see the work they have done.Not only was I happy with quality of work, but the packing and crating was great, no damages in shipment. It did take 11 months from drop off of animals and delivery to Atlanta. Cost was close to estimate given for the taxidermy work in 05, only difference was shipping was more than the estimate given at that time.
bobga

Posts: 201 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks bobga.

If they did your buffalo, I'm impressed. My friend from Zimbabwe has all his stuff done at Taxidermy Enterprises. Glad to hear a second opinion. I'll give them a look when I'm there in July.

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote