THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Fiberglass or polyurethan foam for the forms?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fiberglass or polyurethan foam for the forms?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted
We are considering two different taxidermists in RSA, using different techniques for mounting. Are there any difference in using fiberglass or polyurethane foam?
I`ve heard that fiberglass is harder to work with, and that it might be harder to sculpture to correct size.. But I mean, the forms must be sculptured according to skin size anyway.
For us it`s very important that mount-size is as close to how big the animal actually was as possible.
Should we take this into consideration?
I have also heard that fiberglass probably will last longer..? Right?

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anders,
I am an amateur taxidermist but have enough technical knowledge to help you on this.

Poly is the best choice due to weight and "workability". Most forms are pre-made to various general sizes. To get one made to the exact dimensions of your animal is expensive and rarely done. When the hide is tanned (wet or dry), there is shrinkage and you will lose some size. Most taxidermists like "death" measurements to size the form as close as possible. For African animals, the taxidermist usually has to work with the tanned hides to get his measurements. This is more difficult and is harder to get you what you want.

All in all, if the taxidermist is skilled, he will be able to get you the correct size, however, do not expect it to be exact.

Another point to consider - if you want competition grade work, then you need to tell them. This comes at 50% or higher premium due to the extra time needed to do the work.

On your comment - fiberglass lasts longer - the forms will outlast your mount by about 500 years. Your mount will decay over time long before the form does.

Good luck.

Posts: 10373 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted Hide Post
I couldnt think of anything worse than fiberglass. I'd rather do them the 'old' way with the bones, woodwool & plaster.

Urathane is so much better to work with. Alterations are a breeze and its strong.

Yes, with any 'cape' brought to a taxidermist, unless the hunter takes exact measurements and pictures of any oddities, then a very close example is what he can expect.
We do try our uttermost to be precise.

Animal Art Taxidermy.

Posts: 227 | Location: Australia. | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
quote:
When the hide is tanned (wet or dry), there is shrinkage and you will lose some size.
Eeker

Dogcat!
You had better find a different tanner if you have shrinkage in your skins!! In actuality my tannery gives me better stretch, the animal is waht it was, no less!

The foam forms are the best to work with and will last a life time. When I first started in taxidermy I used paper forms, thats all there was, a few fiberglas forms floating around but most all were paper. What a pain in the ass they were to modif. Foam is easy to change and to mount on, stick with them

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
But do you guys mean it will make a difference using fiberglass or foam regarding how close to real life the animals turn out..? Or is it just a pain to work with..? One of the taxidermist said they used fiberglass for shouldermounts and foam for fullmounts.. Input?
Thanks!

Anders

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Anders,

The foam forms today are very accurate with detail, there's almost too much detail!

I don't think fiberglas is as good. I've used some fiberglas forms, paper seems easier then glas!

How close to real life the animals turn out is up to the taxidermist.

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't think fiberglas is as good.

Is that from a working point of view or do you mean the results will be better using foam..?

Asking many questions here.. Just wanna make sure everything gets as good as possible.. I mean, they`ll be in my possesion for a lifetime (hopefully)... Smiler

Anders

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The end result will totally depend on the skills of the taxidermist not the material the forms are made of.
From a taxidermist standpoint foam is easier to work with and will last as long as anything.
Forms are made in many different sizes and the taxidermist will pick the size that best fits the animal at least thats what I do anyway. Regardless of the method used to preserve the skin you can only make it stretch a certain amount until it want stretch anymore.
The quality of the work varies alot in RSA so look at as many taxidermists in that country as possible before you decide. BEWARE!!!! The taxidermist that your PH recomends may not be the best one. Safari operations get a commission for the work they send to certain taxidermists so your best intrests may not be their concern.

There are some excellent taxidermists in Europe is there not one in your country or a neighboring country that can do your work for you?

I wish you the best

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input!
We met with both taximdermists, and actually visited their showrooms.. Both looks equally good, from my point.. So the best price will probably decide.
It was only important for me to know if their methods had anything to say..
There are some pretty good ones in Norway, but their very expensive.. Their price are double of what we will pay, even if we haven`t chose any of the cheapest in RSA. I always avoid the cheapest (there`s normally a reason), and then try to find one who delivers a good balance between price and quality..
Thanks again!

Anders

posted Hide Post
Hi Anders,
An important point to be taken into account is the weight of the fininshed trophy. Fibre Glass weighs a lot more than urethane. This will also affect the cost of your shipping as the actual weight is taken into account if it is more than the volumetric weight
Regards
Mike
www.capricorntaxidermy.com

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,
Thanks for your input! Will it make much of a difference, you think?
Couple hundred usd? 13 animals of various sizes..

Anders