New
Find
Notify
Tools

Import and Cites Fees
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a couple warthogs and a Hartman Mountain Zebra coming in from Namibia soon. Can any of you guys give me an idea of what fees I have to pay. Thanks

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BIJOUCREEK
posted Hide Post
Go to the fish and wildlife website it has a fee structure for 2010 and depending on whether its a designated port or non designated port. should be about $50 per cites and $139 if its a non designated port, $0 for designated unless fish and wildlife just wants to charge a little extra and they just might, I dont think any of the agents truly have a clue what there own job is.

Posts: 155 | Location: Byers Co | Registered: 20 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Strapman, (I am assuming you are in the US?) a CITES import permit from the USFWS is not required for your Hartmanns Zebra. A CITES export permit from the country of origin (Namibia) is required.

Your warthogs do not require any CITES import permits either.

I do recommend the use of a customs brokerage such as Fauna & Flora to assist you with these matters and for the receiving and clearing of your trophies through USFWS and US Customs. Their services are valuable and worth the fees IMO.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
<The Artistry of Wildlife>
posted
Grafton is right on the money again
Namibia issues the export permit for the Hartmann's Zebra . You don't need a CITES to import it or the warthogs.

Not only are USFW involved but the USDA has their hands in those shipments also. If your warthogs come in the same crate as you other trophies they will have to ship to a USDA licensed taxidemrist or tannery to comply with there regulations on swine, Same for any monkeys or babboons or buff's.

I am assuming you are shipping in salted skins. If they are mounted then the above paragraph doesn't apply.

A good broker can save you from a lot of headaches. Grafton has given you great advise.

Producing the Highest Quality Custom Wildlife Mounts with less than 90 Working Day Delivery.
Visit our Studio Online at:
The Artistry of Wildlife
"2009 World Champions"
"Best in World Combined Artists"
World Taxidermy Championships
" 2010 Michigan State Champion"

Email:
info@artistryofwildlife.com

One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Not all animals are on the CITES list.

The ones that are on CITES get classified in on of the 3 different kinds of classes called APPENDIX.

So there is Appendix I, Appendix II and Appendix III.

http://www.cites.org/eng/app/index.shtml

As others have mentioned that using a good brokerage firm like Fauna & Flora (I use them all the time) is highly recommended. They know all the rules & regulations applicable to different species and will take care of all the headaches for you on Stateside....best money you will ever spend.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check with your clearing agent I used coppersmith they take care of everything

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
The best is t patrioto contact a USDA broker. I sent most of the clients to Coppersmith with alot of offices in the USA.Call or email them--look on google--and they will answer all your questions......

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I appreciate your input. I am using a customs broker in Chicago area but I was just curious as to what to expect when they send the bill. Thanks once again.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote