THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Removing felt backing from rug?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing felt backing from rug?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My son has a felt backed zebra rug, that was done in Africa. The rug will not lay flat. We both think it is because of the backing. My son would like to remove it, without damaging the skin. I've never attempted anything like this. Suggestions?

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
MD,

It is probably not the backing causing the problem. If the rug was flat when the backing was attached, the backing should help keep the rug flat. Humidity can cause wrinkling on a rug that is not backed supportivly. How old is the rug? Once you have removed the backing, if the leather is not too old, you may be able to have it rehydrated, restretched and rerugged using a more durable backing such as carpeting.

To get to your question at hand: If the felt is machine or hand sewn to the zebra leather, a seam ripper is the best way to remove the stitches. If your wife doesn't have one in her sewing supplies you can purchase one for a few dollars at any fabric store or even a Walmart. To avoid tearing or cutting the leather, I recommend going slow, one stitch at a time. Haste makes waste.

If the felt is glued onto the zebra skin, an exacto knife with a larger, rounder tipped blade will work fine to seperate the leather from the glue. This also must be done very slowly and with great care as to not cut the leather. Best to leave a little glue on the skin than to chance cutting a hole in the zebra.

You may find that even if the backing is sewn on that there may be glue used to adhere the inner most parts. Use the same above method to remove that glue.

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me and I will gladly help. Good luck, hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be smart and just send it to Mary and let her fix it.
I am very happy with the rug she made for me.
Thanks,
W.Smiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote