New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question of value...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
six years ago today, I shot a big bison bull. About 1600lbs.

I had the hide tanned hair on, and caped the skull to allow a head mount. The horns measure over 16" long, and over 13" around the base.
I also have the skull, pretty well bleached out. Hide, from head to base of tail, 8'10". Front shoulders,side to side, 8'. Rear shoulders, side to side 7'7"

Can one of you gentlemen give me an approximate value?

thanks,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Artistry of Wildlife
posted Hide Post
If you have a 6 year old tanned cape for a shoulder mount. Unless you soaked it up and froze it, it's worthless. The skin will most likely fall apart when it is soaked up now. No taxidermist worth his salt would touch it without a guarantee that it's good after soaking. The rest, the rug and horns and skull...A quick look on ebay will tell you what they are worth.

Posts: 657 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of the ones I have seen for sale are rugs, not for a full body mount.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Artistry of Wildlife:
If you have a 6 year old tanned cape for a shoulder mount. Unless you soaked it up and froze it, it's worthless. The skin will most likely fall apart when it is soaked up now. No taxidermist worth his salt would touch it without a guarantee that it's good after soaking. The rest, the rug and horns and skull...A quick look on ebay will tell you what they are worth.

Are you sure about that? I remember at the, I believe it was the 1976 or 77, National Taxidermist's Association convention in Denver, that Joe Kish entered a bobcat lifesize mount that won Best of Show. He used the skin from an old bobcat rug that be bought at a yard sale. He had no problem when soaking it up for the mount.
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Failure to communicate.
Let me rephrase the question.

If you owned this rug, and a customer saw it in your studio and wanted to buy it: how much money would you charge him/her for it?

Rich

I am left with the notion that you are not going to tell that customer, it has no value, you can have it for free...

One of Us
Picture of The Artistry of Wildlife
posted Hide Post
Idaho. If it's just a rug then the best way to compare what you have without seeing pictures of the quailty or the condition, best you just do a quick easy search on ebay. See what people are asking and what they really are selling for, see current listing and completed sales.The market sets the price if you looking to turn it liquid.

Posts: 657 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gotcha!

Thanks for the advice.