Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Just some mounts.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted
Boar. (neck mount as client cut cape too short)

Posts: 227 | Location: Australia. | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SheHuntz.

Ain't that just terriable. I remember a couple years back, a customer brought in a deer to be mounted in a shoulder mount. But for the life of me I still to this day can't figure out if he wanted a shoulder mount, why would he cut the cape off about 5 to 6 inches behind the ears? .

Oh well. He promised that for now on leave the cape & hide all in one piece. Plus I told him that if it is neccisary for him to remove the hide from the cape, then lay it out on the floor, & put your foot so it is behind the shoulders & briskit. Then take his sharp knife & cut the hide off on the side of the boot that is the closest to the rump.

Posts: 36 | Location: Swamps, of South Jersey | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted Hide Post
Yeah Stumpjumper it really s*i*s me.

I keep telling them "3rd to last rib", (hey if your going to skin it , a few inches more wont kill ya - right?), but i think its just lack of wanting to try. Some of the boars i get are just lopped off, without skinning, with a sharp knife (chainsaw even) just in front of the shoulder and frozen whole as the hunter either cant cape or wont even try.

A couple of my first clients gave me goat capes that were obviously cut way too short but they tried to tell me 'oh i cut behind the shoulder'. I was like , ok, 'where are the arm pits then'???

Now i write on the service contract if the cape is too short, as i had one guy accuse me off cutting a cape too short on purpose.

I was like - why would i create more work for myself? (altering a form to suit)

I hate neck mounts, esp on pigs. It loses the 'strength and guts' feel that their shoulders give.

Might tell them your idea - if i say it came from a bloke they might listen

Posts: 227 | Location: Australia. | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote