Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taxidermy Enterprises
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone have experience in dealaing with Taxidermy Enterprises in Bulawayo? Been thinking about having the taxidermy work after my safarai in August done in Zimbabwe, and avoiding the dip/pack fees. Only really looking at having a hippo tusk mount and maybe a cow cape buffalo euro mount done. Thoughts? Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless they have changed the way they do business, I wouldn't trust them with anything! I had horrible dealings with them starting in 2006 until I got everything picked up in 2008. By then everything was ruined. Sorry to be negative but I wish someone would have warned me.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've had a few dealings with them - all bad
if you enjoy bending over with a jar of vaseline in the hands of the guy behind you, you should love doing business with them

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoulder mounts are probably out ofthe question, but Check with your PH. They may have changed hands. Past problems might be over. Not sure, but remember something mentioned by some Zim PH friends.
I had a hippo tusk mount done there 10 years ago,capped in brass, on wood in the shape of Africa. Awesome. Had them do zebra rugs on felt, very reasonable. Buffalo cow? hard to mess up or ship the skull and put it on your carpet.

Posts: 389 | Location: Montana, USA | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
bring them home. If that is all you are going to have done , then the dip/ship rates will be on the lower end and you will have your trophies in your county and not over the pond...... patriot

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
ZZZ,

Do you happen to have a picture of your hippo tusk mount on the shield shaped like africa?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Had to find out how to post photos. Been on the site since 2000 and never did before.

one of us
posted Hide Post
PS Mad Dog

Also very cool. If you kill a hippo bull, bring the skull home. One of the best. Make sure it is cleaned up in africa.

One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
ZZZ, that is a awesome way to mount your hippo tusk. very nice job.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
ZZZ,

Thanks for posting thoses pictures! That Africa Shield is awesome! How big is it? From the picture, it looks huge! Thanks again!

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
About 48" tall.

Taxidermy Ent. had to have a bigger shield made for such big teeth. May have been largest Zim Hippo of 2001.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
just received my buff bull skull 2 weeks ago from my Oct 2010 hunt in Zim., work done by Taxidermy Ent. you won't really avoid the dip/pack fees as they will either be charged by Tax. Ent or the outfitter.
1.dip/pack- $500( charged by the outfitter)
2. skull bleach-$90( charged by T.E.)
3. road transfer from Bulawayo to Harare plus export doc fees- $360( charged by a combo of T.E. plus Maple Freight, mostly Maple Freight)
4. air freight from Harare to San Fran-$780( Delta/SAA)
5.customs clearance plus forward shipping from SF to Fresno( 150 miles)- $720( of which $200 was forward shipping).
total cost for 1 buffalo skull( in a box that would easily have held hippo tusks)= $2450. cost would have obviously been more with the addition of hippo tusks because of additional bleaching/paperwork/ weight.. the actual work done by TE amounted to less $150 between the bleach cost and the doc/export permits. i doubt you could get a skull/ tusks bleached in the US for $150. bottom line- TE did a good job and quickly- BUT BE PREPARED FOR STICKER SHOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13429 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
looks very nice, can we see more photos of your leopard ?

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote