THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    cleaning brains out of skulls

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

cleaning brains out of skulls
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have two boars and a blackbuck that I have cleaned and boiled a few times and I still cant get rid of some of the brain material and little bits of flesh. anything I can put in the water to help get rid of the last bit of flesh?

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Staley Keck
posted Hide Post
Warm them up in the water again and take them to the car wash or pressure washer as soon as you pull them out, put the nozzle in the spinal canal and let the fun begin! also take a stiff wire through the nasal passage to remove the remaining tissue.

Posts: 79 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 06 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few options:
1.leave it out where insects can do the work for you
2. If you know someone with dermestid beetles, get their insects to do it.
3. look for hydrogen peroxide 30% strength. submerge skulls in water. Wear appropriate PPE, and DO NOT get the full strength stuff on your skin. Add the peroxide to the water, looking to dilute it to 10% by volume. The bubbling will whiten the skull and remove some, but not all of the bits you want gone.

Removing the brains before you boil is the best, as it is difficult to remove the bits left behind

For future reference, this is what I do:
1. remove as much tissue as possible from the exterior of the skull and separate the jaw bone.
2. remove the brains by using a rod to scramble them, use a set of fishing pliers to remove the brains. putting some water into the cavity, shaking and dumping helps. I've yet to try using an air lance, but that is supposed to be the easiest way.
3. simmer( 60-70 C) the skulls in water with arm & hammer washing soda( also goes by name So Good). Enzymes in it help soften tissue to snotty consistancy. Change water at least once. Pull skulls out to check and pick/pull off tissue. Do this outside, not in the garage.For horns or antlers, wrap them in plastic food wrap , then duck tape to keep condensation off. Do not let them get into the liquid, or you will have some discolouration to deal with.
4. let skulls soak in a warmed water with Dawn dish soap. This step helps remove the marrow you rendered in step 3, and this is usually enough for deer/antelope
5. For predators/ pigs, find a 2.5 or 5 gallon plastic bucket with a lid. Place skulls in bucket and cover them with coleman's camping fuel ( white gas). This is easier to come by than acetone, and easier to deal with. Place lid on and duck tape closed. store this in a cool, shaded area away from any spark/ignition source. After 48hours check, and the pool of yellowish goo on the bottom is the rendered marrow and fat you hadn't removed from step 3 and 4.
6. let skulls sit outside for a few hours to evapourate off the soaked in white gas. The gas can be reused, just pour off the goo.
7. soak skulls is water with 30% hydrogen peroxide diluted to 10%. this will take up to a day, maybe longer to get the desired whiteness. wrap horns/antlers as mentioned above, and do not let them go into liquid level. You can get magnesium carbonate powder, and mix it with the full strength peroxide to make a paste. Use an old tooth brush to put on areas where the liquid can't get ( near the horns/antlers).
8. Use white glue to secure teeth.
I have used this on everything from mink to grizzly bears, deer, antelope and elk. I have not done sheep, moose, bison.
I have done approx 50 skulls for the local school I used to teach at, for myself and occasionally for friends for N/C.

The finished product is as good as you want it to be, based on your time and fussiness.

Posts: 132 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Some pretty good info here about Skull Cleaning

If I were you I'd go to the store and buy a box of this stuff (cheap and otherwise known as "sal soda")and try a cup or two on your next boil together with a squirt or two of Dawn dishwashing detergent. Removes grease and makes the little bits of flesh, etc. gel up and fall off. Good luck.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sal soda in water, bring to a simmer, no boiling. The soda will turn the meat to a jell and you can hose and scrape off. The boars will need degreasing, may take some time to get clean before finishing.

Paul B

Posts: 58 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, simmer in sal soda. And forget dermistid beetles too. They don't like to eat rotten or cooked meat. A friend of mine has a beetle cleaning service and that's what he told me.

And the boar skull will likely need to be degreased. I soaked mine in acetone for a couple of days, then set it in the sun.

Steve

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
contact the democratic national comittee

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote