New
Find
Notify
Tools

bear skull
 Login/Join

<cougarhunting>
posted
I have a decent sized bear skull that I boiled out and cleaned but the skull is different colours in different spots i would like to turn it all white or cream coloured should I bleach it or wha t process is used for a skull headed for the mantle

one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
The different colors is probably because the skull needs to be degreased. Bears are notorious for having greasy skins, skulls, and everything else!

Soak the skull in clean white gas (Coleman lantern fuel) for about 3-4 days. It wouldn't hurt to drill some small holes (1/16") into the greasy areas to help the gas to get inside the bone. Drill from angles where the hole won't be seen in the final display.

After the degreasing, rinse it well and put it into a solution of hydrogen peroxide for a few hours. I get the peroxide from a beauty supply store and it comes in 20%, 30%, and 40% strength. Any will work but don't leave the skull in it for more than about 6-7 hours and don't get it on your skin!!!

After bleaching, rinse well with water and set the skull in the sun for a day and it should be snow white.

Finish up with a spray coat of Krylon clear acrylic sealer and you're done.

Good luck!

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
<cougarhunting>
posted
Thanks for the info I am printing your instructions and will give it a go

one of us
posted Hide Post
How did it turn out?

The wolf skull I bleached in eau de javel has strange discolourations, sharply defined. E.g. the bottom half of the lower jaw was yellowish, the rest white. Similar things on the skull itself.

My cousin in Europe used to have (and gave to me) thick peroxide paste, more like whipped egg-white (still slightly runny). This was great stuff, as you didn't need to fill a container, you just smeared it on, and it helped itself into the little nooks. It was used by hair salons, but only diluting it.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote