New
Find
Notify
Tools

rack
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, I'm going on my first caribou hunt next weekend, and I want to keep the rack if its a nice one, but I was wondering how would I go about getting the rack mounted, I want to do it myself, does anyone make such a kit for the bou?

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
check out vandykes taxidermy,I would think that it would be the same as doing a whitetail,Im looking at the catalog in front of me and they have antler mount forms for caribou(page 165)good luck on your hunt.

Posts: 262 | Location: pa | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dark Paladin---When you remove the antlers from the skull,use a hand saw and cut from behind the antler down towards nose and out---leaving the hair on. Then get some 20 Mule Team Borax from the supermarket(in detergent section) and mix cup to a gallon of water. Pick out as much as you can of the brain and flesh thats on the skull piece you cut off. Then soak the skull part only in the borax for three days. I do this by putting the borax mixture in a large coffee can and adjusting height so that no part of the antler is in the mixture. It will discolor the antler is reason you have to be careful. The Borax will keep the little bit of brain and flesh you could not remove from stinking. After it has soaked three days rinse very thoroughly in running water. When dry you can easily mount it to a board by drilling through the skull and using screws---the hair will hide the screw head. You can also treat the lower legs in the same Borax solution. They make good racks when mounted on a board. Use some black shoe polish to shine them. You can also treat the tail in the same manner and mount it on the board for the rack as more ornamentation. Just remove the bone from it first.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dark Paladin---One thing I didnt mention---it's a lot easier to use the skull with hair than it is to remove the hair and cover the skull. Should you not leave the hair on---cut out a block of wood the shape the plaque will be but smaller---slightly larger than the skull piece. Then attach this block to the skull---you can use screws as they will be hidden. Then pad the skull. Then take strips of cloth with the edges folded and on the backside of the block,staple one end. Then go across the skull piece and padding and pull it tight and staple other end to the backside of the block. Keep adding strips in random directions until the whole thing is covered. It will look sorta like a turbin--but it wont be wrinkled and its a lot easier than trying to work a single piece of cloth without wrinkles. You can then mount it to the plaque by drilling through the plaque use screws from the backside of plaque into the block you covered.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote