Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Measurements for mounting
 Login/Join

posted
I'm on my way to AK next weekend for Moose and Brown Bear and have been wondering just what information (measurements) that a taxidermist might need to properly mount these animals. My old taxidermist retired so at this point I'm not sure what taxidermist I might use. Otherwise I would call him/her. But, I thought someone here might be able to give me some guidance. For the moose, I'll be looking at a typical shoulder mount. What measurements should I take for that one? For the Brown Bear, even though I really don't have room, I already have a rug mount of one hanging on the wall, so have been thinking of a standing full body mount. What measurements would I need for that type of mount? Also, since I have severe space limitations for a large Brownie, if anyone has any ideas on how to mount one other than standing that wouldn't take up much space, I'd appreciate hearing your ideas. Thanks.

Posts: 17 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Artistry of Wildlife
posted Hide Post
Realistically you don't need any measurements if your using a taxidermist worth his salt. We measure off the skins of the animals everyday.

On the bear for example as your reading this take your index finger on your right hand and opposing thumb and pinch the forearm of your left arm, See how much extra skin you have? Since when mounting a bear he doesn't need to move and his skin does not need the flexibility you can actually make the forearm larger. Same goes for the rest of his body , all the legs, neck girth especially...but not his length.
99% of what I mount comes with no measurements. But they sure know the size when these guides Square Them , which actually means nothing when it comes to mounting. I squared 8' bear is not an 8' bear mounted.

As for for your size limit on the brown mount, 3/4 upright would need a very small base, as small as 24" by 36" some can be made smaller.

I do get clients that do measure bears , and if done correctly and honestly , the bear will be larger than the measurements every time at my studio.

Tip of nose to corner of eye , tip of nose to back of skull. girth pulling the tape firmly around the belly 6" below the ribs. And tip of nose to BASE of tail. Do not include the tail in this measurement.

If you care to measure the moose... tip of nose to front corner of the eye and around it's neck AFTER it's skinned....Pull the tape TIGHT at the base of the ears touching the base of them and as if your were choking it.

AND GOOD LUCK HAVE A GREAT TIME !!!!!!

Posts: 657 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
your Moose will stick out from the wall about 46" , bottom of the brisket to the top of the horns is hard to guess depending on how big he is but it will probably be about the same, maybe a little less. You need at least 10 ft ceiling to get the nose above head height so you won't be running into it.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you both for your response. Much appreciated. I'm not worried about the wall space for the Moose. I've got high enough ceilings that that won't be an issue, just a matter of moving other mounts around. A life size Brownie on the other hand is where I'm worried about space.

Can you tell me more about the 3/4 upright pose? I assume that the bear is not fully upright (thus the 3/4?). Does this give it a more realistic pose as opposed to the fully upright, which I'm not a big fan of? If you happen to have a picture, I'd appreciate seeing it. Thanks again.

Posts: 17 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
The 3/4 upright Dennis is talking about would be something similar to this black bear. slightly bent over it's a more aggressive, concentrated look.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote