THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    How to clean a set of old moose antlers?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to clean a set of old moose antlers?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
I inherited an old set of Moose antlers, and they are pretty grungy and discolored from age. What can I use to clean them that will not damage or further discolor them?

Thanks

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted Hide Post
In my current Taxidermy today Magazine (I am 1 issue behind in australia) it has an article on the restoration of a caribou and its antlers so try this for the antlers:
First the Paul Rhymer sprays on windex and wipes off. (tested in inconspicous area first).
Then if that doesnt work - dawn and warm water.
If the stains are bad - a low strength solvent - working up solvent strengths if they each dont work. (ie - start gentle and work up to the more harsh treatment).
Hope this helps,
sam.

Animal Art Taxidermy.

Posts: 227 | Location: Australia. | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
As stated above, you can clean them with warm soapy water on a rag. However, if they are really discolored they may need to be stained in order to bring back the natural color. This is best done by your taxidermist.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote