New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got the taxidermy kit
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The kit contains: hide paste, dry perservative, puffed borax, skin prep degreasing detergent (looks like Dawn), some clay and ear inserts and wire for the tail and glass eyes. So now i have all these chemicals, but there isn't any instructions. When i ordered the kit i asked and they said instructions were included. They did include instructions on how to put the hide on. I just don't have a clue how to prepare the hide or what sequence to use the chemicals.

My limited experience with kits would be something like a home permanent kit which has detailed instructios. Even hamburger helper has instructions.

So, i called and Wasco Supply and explained i bought the stuff in kit form because i'm a beginner. I was expecting some step by step directions. Kit form should = easy... like paint by number. Their customer service is supposed to check on it and get back to me after the taxidermist gets back from lunch. I think i'll have lunch too....how about...Lipton cup of soup? Walaa! it has directions.

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Before you start this project you may want to by an instructional book or video to go along with any instructions the kit may have. You will need some knowledge of basic taxidermy methods and skinning before you do anything. You will not be able to mount the fox in a step by step manner if you are not familiar with every step BEFORE you start. If you are serious about putting this fox together, please buy a book such as the Breakthrough mammal taxidermy manual. Also check out taxidermy.net as you can get any questions you have answered there. I wish you the best of luck with this project but please understand that there is a lot to this, a bit more than paint by number!

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Plinker603:

Kit form should = easy... like paint by number.

lol I am sure everyone 'thought' that when they began.
Grafton makes a good point. You need to be familiar of the process before you start to avoid dissapointment.
Not a fan of DP though myself.
Good luck.

Animal Art Taxidermy.

Posts: 227 | Location: Australia. | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
That's way we hire a Taxidermist! Big Grin

QUOTE by SHEHUNTZ:
"Not a fan of DP though myself"
Can't agree with you more shehuntz! thumb

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What exactly is DP that you're not a fan of?????

I'll buy some books, that's not a problem and thanks to all for the suggestion. I've learned a lot already: kit don't = easy and taxidermy kit = easy = oxymoron.

Penny

aim small, hit small

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
DP is dry perservative

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
I think you will find instructional videos will be very helpfull.

Dont forget to use as much reference as you can get your hands on. Pay close attention to the small details of hair patterns position, eye shape, ear location and position and so on.

Good luck and have some fun.

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Plinker,
Don't take this as offensive because it is not meant to be but . . .

Having owned a taxidermy shop for several years has allowed me to run across at least 98% of the problems that are encountered when mounting an animal . . . plus, it is very common to have to solve unusual mounting problems with a majority of mounts done (i.e. form is too long, form is too short, form is to big around, neck is too long, neck is too short, head is too big, head is too short, eyes are wrong size, hair begins slipping, glue dries too fast, etc.). Experience in dealing with problems is the most valuable tool that a taxidermist can have.

With that in mind . . .

I would love to pull up a confortable chair with a bag of chips, some salsa, and a 6 pack of Budweiser and just watch you on your first mounting job. It will be entertaining!

Good luck and keep us posted!

JDS

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jds:
Plinker,
Don't take this as offensive because it is not meant to be but . . .

Having owned a taxidermy shop for several years has allowed me to run across at least 98% of the problems that are encountered when mounting an animal . . . plus, it is very common to have to solve unusual mounting problems with a majority of mounts done (i.e. form is too long, form is too short, form is to big around, neck is too long, neck is too short, head is too big, head is too short, eyes are wrong size, hair begins slipping, glue dries too fast, etc.). Experience in dealing with problems is the most valuable tool that a taxidermist can have.

With that in mind . . .

I would love to pull up a confortable chair with a bag of chips, some salsa, and a 6 pack of Budweiser and just watch you on your first mounting job. It will be entertaining!

Good luck and keep us posted!

JDS

Well JDS, i do take a little offense at the entertaining remark. When i ordered the kit i asked if there was any thing else i needed and the sales person said no, and i asked which was the easiest pose to do and she said "they're all easy." Then i get the kit and it doesn't say how to mix up the preservatives.

I bought a "hobby kit" That would indicate it should be for beginners. They're supposed to be sending me some tanning instructions in the mail. Everyone has to start somewhere. And as far as problems with mounting the eyes, i've mounted plenty of eyes in bird woodcarvings. As far as shaping the mannikin, i've done a little shaping in my time, this woodcarving for exampe:

but thanks, i'll try to keep you entertained, errr, posted.

Penny

aim small, hit small

one of us
posted Hide Post
I "shaped" this out of wood and all the tail and primary wing feathers are individually carved. I took exact measurements and color references from a roadkill.

So, how do you like my robin?

L

O

L....

....i promised to entertain you.

Penny

aim small, hit small

One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
I also own a taxidermy business, and really like to hear how "easy" it is to mount an animal with a paint by number kit. I absolutely encourage you to take your first whack at mounting that animal, you will have fun, get frustrated, and learn about taxidermy. At the end of the process, you will have a mounted fox, that may or may not look like a fox. But it will be yours to keep. Those kits do a good job of giving you a starting point, but by no means is using a dry preservative the "right" way to do things. That's my opinion and that's why I use a commercial tan. I even go so far as to use three different tanneries based on which one is the best for deer and african skins, which is best for hair off tanning, and which is best for everything else. Wasco sells a pile of those kits to beginners, I wish you the best, but I wouldn't say any part of the process will be easy. If you go to taxidermy.net, you may get some good advice on mounting the fox, or PM me and I might be able to help.

Hugh

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Penny,

I was afraid that was going to happen . . . I often have to "fix" what I say to my wife so I'm pretty used to it.

I sincerely meant no insult to your abilities. Your carving is beautiful and it is very obvious that you have talent. But mounting a lifesize fox is a daunting task as a first project. I was only envisioning those moments to come when you will have the glue on the form and try to put the hide on, only to learn that it doesn't fit properly . . . you get hide paste on your fingers and as you are trying to adjust the hide the paste gets into the fur everywhere you touch it . . . you finally get the hide on only to learn that you forgot to insert the tail wire so you have to take it back apart . . . while taking the hide back off the form slips from your grasp and you break one of the legs . . . and while grabbing to catch it, your hand smears the clay across the eyes that you spent so much time setting . . . etc . . . etc

What I'm describing is not your inadequacies but only lack of experience. I went through it many times years ago and still do occasionally when it happens to be one of those days when I should have stayed in bed! I only meant to poke a little friendly fun at the humor in the situation and not towards you personally. Please accept my apologies.

When starting newcomers to the taxidermy field I used to recommend a shoulder mount of a raccoon. The student still gets to deal with the intricacies of the eyes, ears, nose, and mouth, but a raccoon has tough skin and is relatively easy to mount. Plus, if it just didn't work out, another could easily be obtained without much cost.

I support your willingness to do your own mount wish you the best with it.

JDS

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I'm 55 years old. I'm sure some of you remember the NorthWestern School of Taxidermey..I took their corespondance course when I was maybe 11, I mounted a Pheasant, weasel and a pigeon All were not pretty but In those days you had to make the bodies out of excelsior and string. These new foam bodies make me almost want to try again it was fun, But if I had a 200in mulie NFW would I do it.. For most of us non pros it should be fun and you should not have to ask what kind of animal it was.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yeah, sorry jds, for reacting that way, i knew you only kidding and you wasn't even mean about it. What you said IS kind of funny and now i think about it you're right. Actually you're way too nice. Guess i'm just sort of mad/disappointed the sales rep, in my opinion, misled me but then if i go to the site it looks like the kits are to go in conjunction with the taxidermy course. I think i'll stash the mannikin away somewhere till i get more time and experience anyway. I also caught a beaver and i skinned it and fleshing it is good experience.

Hughiam, thanks for your advice and your offer of help.

Elkman, i admire you for taking a taxidermy course at age ll. That's pretty neat you should get back into it, i'm sure it would come easy for you.

Penny

aim small, hit small

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plinker I admire you for wanting to try!! Why the hell not? If it's not the way you want, you aren't out much and you have had fun and learned a little. I think any time we do something and learn a little--the project is worthwile. Those of you on your high horses should remember that you started out somewhere too--everyone has their first experience before they get good. Oh except me--I was born a gifted chef. I never made a mistake or had to learn from my experiences. Big Grin

the chef

one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted Hide Post
Calgarychef I dont believe anyone in the thread is on a high horse bewildered
Nothing wrong with being told the project might be worth some basic investigation before proceeding.
When i was a beginner i would have liked a bit of a guiding hand.
As you mentioned we all started somewhere. Honestly, how many of us thought it was going to be an easy process before our first few animals?

As i have already said - good luck plinker

Animal Art Taxidermy.

Posts: 227 | Location: Australia. | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Plinker,
I'd second the Breakthrough manual on small mammals. Great book with a ton of step-by-step tips. They cover a full-body coyote mount also. The picture is my first two attempts at taxidermy last year, I was too cheap to mount two bucks that I had shot. This year I'm mounting three deer heads, two elk heads, a bear rug, and I'm going to try and tackle a coyote mount...I'd love a gray fox though. Obviously you have patience and attention to detail, so with the proper information you will probably do a very good job. I would suggest NOT using the dry preservative though...even the rub-on tans would be a better alternative, and they are pretty reasonable. I've used the McKenzie tan, and it did a great job and was easy.

Best of luck.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1174 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,
Man, those look great for first time. I've got two in the freezer that I hope will be my first two also. You didn't say whether or not you used the kits?

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)
If at first you don't succeed,,,failure may be your thing!!!

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jason,
I didn't use a kit, instead I ordered the Breakthrough manual on whitetail taxidermy and read that through several times. Then I ordered what I needed in way of forms, eyes, tanning chemicals, etc...

I used mostly McKenzie products including their tanning process and it worked pretty well. I need a little more practice with the eyes and what-not, but I was very happy with the results.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1174 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt those mounts look great! Good job on the hunting and the mounting!

Well, i haven't started the fox yet. First i have to take care of all the beavers i got this year which is three. Fleshing and skinning them out is great practice for taxidermy work. Their faces look perfect with the whiskers and eyelids and everything look like all you need do is pop some glass eyes in. Right now i'm just tanning the hides and i'm using pro tan formula. I've skinned 13 muskrats, 3 coons, 3 beavers, 2 foxes. I still not skinned the taxidermy fox. It's waiting in the freezer till trapping season is over and i get caught up on the tanning, then i'll tackle it. But i have a great feeling about the fox, especially after seeing matt's work. And thanks for your encouragement Calvarychef. I liked your European mount, too.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plinker,
Couple books,a tape or two,and jump in.Best way to learn is by doing.If you can find someone with experience to guide/help,so much the better.My first squirrel,decades ago,looked like Marty Feldman.It's still hanging to remind me.(I basically did everything wrong,as listed in an earlier post).When people ask about it,I simply say "Ugliest damn squirrel I've ever seen.THAT'S why I shot it!". Leaves them guessing.Good luck,Dave

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaveP:
When people ask about it,I simply say "Ugliest damn squirrel I've ever seen.THAT'S why I shot it!". Leaves them guessing.Good luck,Dave

jumping Thanks, i'll have to remember that one!

Plinker

aim small, hit small