New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Coloring horns
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had found a nice 10 point rack I wanted it to look fresh so I shoe polished it worked good.I am going to do some white moose racks this year.Any one know where to get a 5 gallon bucket of shoe polish?

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
I have really good luck mixing turpentine and linseed oil, 50/50, and then rag it on the horns. Let it set overnight and give it another coat if it has soaked in. After a few days buff off with a dry cloth.
It brings back the true colors!
This will also work with your old antlers, just wont take so much.

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was looking for some other stuff--for bleaching skulls--and noticed horn dye in a couple of the taxidermy supply catalogs on the web, I think maybe it was Van Dykes, not sure, as there were a lot of them. They listed about 25 color shades as I recall, and not expensive.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The impala that I brought back from my 92 trip have horns that were discolored in the process they went thru in Africa. The bottoms are a light golden color for about 2 or 3 inches. What can they be colored with to match the original darker color? Thanks

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use shoe polish of all things .I match the color to the horns.I have colored many whitetail horns on skulls I have found and you cant tell them from fresh horns.It works pretty good.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dgr416,
Thanks, we did it this morning and that is what we ended up using. Trial and error only that is what we started with. I then tried leather dye and it was not as successful so we went back to what we lucked into on the first go round. Tanks for answering. On the implala it seemed to work better with black and letting the lighter color blend thru. It made for a good match anyway.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote