Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Some pig.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some nice Ivory there!!

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely beautiful work!

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice presentation and some great hogs. The one in the middle reminds me of my high school sweetheart.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:

except you forgot to put the teeth in, or at least clean the stains off so you couldn't tell where they were actually supposed to go... Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of zambeziman
posted Hide Post
Hey Dennis, your work looks great,,,keep up the good work...see you soon!

John

Posts: 77 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Artistry of Wildlife
posted Hide Post
Glad you like "YOUR" Warthogs. See you Sunday with them.
D

Posts: 657 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holy pig crap!

Nice looking mount too.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great mounts but I have to ask have two of those hogs got their tusks pulled out a great deal further??? I'm sure the stain on the tusks are were they meet the lip in real life?? just asking

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
shocker

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
quote:

except you forgot to put the teeth in, or at least clean the stains off so you couldn't tell where they were actually supposed to go... Roll Eyes

Even if you clean off the stains the pulled tusks will still be obvious because they don't "mesh" together as they would in real life.

I'm a bit disgusted that a warthog would be mounted in such a distasteful way. If this is OK on warthog would it also be OK to mount a kudu with the horns pulled out so that they look to be 2 curls?

How about splitting the skull plate on a narrow mule deer rack so that it can be spread to 30"?

And here I thought the goal of taxidermy was to recreate the animal as it looked in real life.
Roll Eyes

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
If this is OK on warthog would it also be OK to mount a kudu with the horns pulled out so that they look to be 2 curls?

How about splitting the skull plate on a narrow mule deer rack so that it can be spread to 30"?

for some it would be....
quote:
And here I thought the goal of taxidermy was to recreate the animal as it looked in real life.

...sometimes "taxidermist" like "hunters" get caught up in what they remember or want rather than what actually was.

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
The one in the middle reminds me of my high school sweetheart.

Oh dear! Was she the only one who said yes to your entreaties? Roll Eyes

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Some big Warthogs there. I am going to send to my buddy. He shot (6) last year.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, those mounts are not impressive because the tusks have been cheated so much. They look retarded!

Why on earth would you mount them that way?

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
in all fairness, the taxidermist may have done precisely what the customer asked them to do....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True but obviously the tusks were pulled out

Posts: 11974 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pull them out or not they look good.
smileing treo.

I guess that when you shoot an Elephant you cut the Tusks off at the Lip.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
in all fairness, the taxidermist may have done precisely what the customer asked them to do....

I disagree. To paraphrase Jack Belk, "I'll do anything a customer asks for, as long as it is not too tasteless."

This kind of garbage is embarrassing.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blaser93:

No, but if you mount the Elephants tusks in the skull or do a head mount you should place the tusks as they were in the living animal.

Mounting anything in such an overly embellished manner is akin to photoshoping your trophy photos to make a decent trophy look like a monster. IMO it is wrong for a client to ask a taxidermist to do this.

On top of the fact that such mountings are dishonest the greater travesty is that the tusks are not meshing as they would in real life. One of the more fascinating facts about the suidae family is the fact that their upper and lower tusks mesh in such a way that the upper tusk sharpens the lower tusk.

This is lost in this mount because a choice was made by the client to try to mount three average warthogs in a way that would make them look like truly grand trophies.

By far the most distasteful of the 3 is the middle warthog that has his tusks "growing" in a very steep angle. This was a trophy sized hog that became unnatural looking due to the client's need to have it look like a super trophy. It blows my mind that clients find this preferable to a natural mount.

Pulling the tusks detracts from a talented taxidermists otherwise beautiful work. If I am ever lucky enough to have Dennis work on one of my trophies I hope that I will have the wisdom to tell him to do his best to mount it as natural as possible.

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by blaser93:

No, but if you mount the Elephants tusks in the skull or do a head mount you should place the tusks as they were in the living animal.

Mounting anything in such an overly embellished manner is akin to photoshoping your trophy photos to make a decent trophy look like a monster. IMO it is wrong for a client to ask a taxidermist to do this.

On top of the fact that such mountings are dishonest the greater travesty is that the tusks are not meshing as they would in real life. One of the more fascinating facts about the suidae family is the fact that their upper and lower tusks mesh in such a way that the upper tusk sharpens the lower tusk.

This is lost in this mount because a choice was made by the client to try to mount three average warthogs in a way that would make them look like truly grand trophies.

By far the most distasteful of the 3 is the middle warthog that has his tusks "growing" in a very steep angle. This was a trophy sized hog that became unnatural looking due to the client's need to have it look like a super trophy. It blows my mind that clients find this preferable to a natural mount.

Pulling the tusks detracts from a talented taxidermists otherwise beautiful work. If I am ever lucky enough to have Dennis work on one of my trophies I hope that I will have the wisdom to tell him to do his best to mount it as natural as possible.

+1000

The look stupid, and posting them on here is something I would have never done.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Damn, tough crowd.

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Tough crowd for sure, stupid, distasteful , garbage, travesty, dishonest? You guys sure get emotional about a couple of pig heads. You do have to have thick skin to be a taxidermist.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
You do have to have thick skin to be a taxidermist

everyone bears their own cross Jerry, usually by choice.

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
You do have to have thick skin to be a taxidermist

everyone bears their own cross Jerry, usually by choice.
hey 505gibbs , I saw your lechwe, that is a smokin mount, Ben did very well on him.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
hey 505gibbs , I saw your lechwe, that is a smokin mount, Ben did very well on him.

WTF? I haven't even seen it yet. I guess you know people?

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
helps to have friends in high places, Brad(although i would have thought family would trump other things dancing).
BTW are you interested in a self guided hunt in Cameroon for roan, forrest buff and LDE?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
when?
with camshaft?

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
yes, next March, April. i will call you this weekend.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote