THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    question about zebra skin and buff scrotum

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

question about zebra skin and buff scrotum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My taxidermist just called and got a zebra hide back from the tannery as well as the wart hog, misc feet and buff scrotum.

I've handled quite a few hides in my day but I have to admitt that the african hides looked rough. They were very pliable but had misc knife cuts and a few hair slips on the zebra near the belly skin and some very small slips through out the hide.

My taxidermist said he'd send it out to be rugged and then do touch up paint on the skin, not the hair, to hide some of the slips.

He told me that with african game it almost like he runs a MAACO body shop due to the amount of hide painting.

My question is, is this all normal?
And any ideas on what do I do with the scrotum

Posts: 193 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is normal for zebras.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
quote:
And any ideas on what do I do with the scrotum

Just tuck it out of the way.
Big Grin

Sorry, A perfectly honest question but I could not resist.

Jerry, cheers for avoiding the scrotum jokes, always a professional clap

Some people use them for storage bags by lacing a leather drawstring around the top. I have seen them used as a tobacco bag. You could store things from your trip like bullets etc..

Jerry is correct regarding the hair slip.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Sidnye,

I rug many zebras a month and more often than not there is damage to the show side. The damage ranges from slip spots, bug damage, and from time to time I see many cracks or slices on the hair side that look like knife cuts but are in fact cracks from the hide being folded after it has salt dried too hard prior to tanning.(I always repair that type of damage.) I also leave any lion claw rakes on a zebra as they make for great conversation. So, yes, African skins do need a bit more finish or touch up work.

Regarding the scrotum, I rehydrate and shape them, line them, and sew a 4" to 6" leather neck with grommets and a leather draw string with an antler button on it. Many of my clients use them for their golf balls... Big Grin. PM me if I can be of any assistance.

Kind regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
I made a dice cup out of my buff scrotum.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote