THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    What to do with an ele hide?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with an ele hide?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If all goes well I will have an ele hide following my hunt.I was thinking of using it or part of it to make a small couch or sofa.What are the most popular or succesfull projects with an ele hide? What is really worth doing if it might be your only ele hide?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Boots, gun slip, purses, belts, anything made out of leather.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Panties for your wife or girlfriend. (or ex-wife and ex-girl friend) Smiler

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask Will who posts on the ARbay forum. He has found a lot of uses for elephant skins!!

Posts: 10265 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
some of the best British cased doubles I have ever seen used Elephant hide for the outer case, with buckles, and Zebra hide for the interior.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of getting a nice case built and fitted for my double until I found out what it would cost.The price was 3000+ USD(if I remember correctly).It would be nice to have one however especially made with ele skin! Thanks for the idea.If you have a picture of one I would like to see it.With a very accurate double it would look so much better.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
was up to robert utnes taxidermy shop yesterday picking up a couple elk and he has 2 lifesize eles to do. 16,000 for the form, 10,000 for tanning, 3500 for the fake tusks. there you go

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
was up to robert utnes taxidermy shop yesterday picking up a couple elk and he has 2 lifesize eles to do. 16,000 for the form, 10,000 for tanning, 3500 for the fake tusks. there you go

This place is full of inspiring people.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Boots, from the ears. Will go well with short pants when tiger hunting.

Posts: 4862 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you will be surprised how much leather goes into an item.

I had mine made into backpacks, gun cases, etc. and had to cut back on how much stuff I was having made as we ran out.

I did not have a flat skin, but rather just kept all the panels, ears and feet.

I suspect that a couch or sofa would require more than one elephant to do with all the cushions, etc. if you were having the whole thing be elephant.

You will also save a bit of cash having the tanning done over there, and the leather work done there. While I prefer having my taxidermy done here, my taxidermist said it would cost a lot less to get it done in Zim and recommended that.

Posts: 10771 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks crbutler.I will inquire about getting a small lazy boy like chair done if I can`t do a two seater.I will talk to the guys at CMS-they must know.The ele feet bar stools also interest me too but so and so.

one of us
posted Hide Post
On second thought I do not think a chair or sofa will be nice with ele skin.I think the DR wood gun case is the best idea so far.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd love some pieces of ele hide for knife sheaths.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigUglyMan:
I'd love some pieces of ele hide for knife sheaths.

knife sheath,now why didn't I think of that? rotflmo
Seriously BUM,I will let you know if I have some.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A piece about 3 inches wide and 45 inches long, would make a great belt, especially if you shipped that to ME!

Heck, I'll even spring for the postage... dancing

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote