THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    mule deer antlers and possibilities

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

mule deer antlers and possibilities
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted
okay, im looking for ideas (including a shoulder mount) for a set of uniquie (at least to me) mule deer antlers I got this past hunting season. First I DID NOT shoot the deer. The antlers were GIVEN to me by my hunting buddy's younger brother. This deer was taken in central Montan sometime in teh last 10 years or so ( the brother couldn't rememebrthe date). I am NO taxidermist, tho I have figured out how to do some simple panel mounts for myself, but I would like to do more with this set than a simple panel mount, and yet because I didn't shoot the deer myself Im not sure I want to do the shoulder mount either, and yes cost is a factor in that too, especially since a replacement cape would be needed and I have no idea how one would get the correct size for this set of antlers.

Also when I first got home I had the antelrs hanging in my garage bu a hole in what tremained form the skull plate, and I didn't do teh origanl cut on that either. Anyway the antelrs fell and the skull plate broke and I tried reglueing them, but that failed so far also. So I ahve the antlers in 2 pieces, which means I could ship them anywhere fairly easily.
Any idea ideas out tehre especially from al the taxidermsits. And yes I have a guy I normally use here, but he is BUSY (over 18 months to get a deeer shoulder mount) and expensive too.

Any ideas.
Willi

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Taxidermists routinely re-join anlters that have had the skull plate cut for shipping. Simply position the two pieces in their original position on a block of wood and screw them to the wood with two screws in each piece. You can strengthen the joint with a good epoxy, such as Accu-Gel, applied on both sides of the skull plate.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote