THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Doing your own white tail hides??

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doing your own white tail hides??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any one doing their own hides?

Would appreciate some pointers or links.

Thanks!

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
You did not state if you want hair on or not but check out some of the larger taxidermy supply companies like McKensie or Van Dykes's. They have kits designed for home tanning of your deer hides, both hair on and hair off.
Personally, I send mine out.

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
mstarling

Your better off having a taxidermist tan it for you, the 85 bucks that it cost is money well spent. The time involved in doing your own will be worth it alone, not to mention the quality of yours compared to a pro job........

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was retired early when the company I worked for was acquired only to be dismantled. Economy has not allowed finding a job. Have lots of time and not too much money.

Have thrown 22 hides away in the last 4 years. Feeling guilty about wasting them.

First two for the bow season are on salt already. We'll see what happens.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
mstarling,

good luck with your venture. I would like to know how you make out with the hides, please......

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote