THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    So, my trophies arrived . . .. sort of

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, my trophies arrived . . .. sort of
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted
This week just couldn't get any worse. A pay discrepency at work from 8 months ago has still not bee resolved (to the tune of $600). A rifle project that has been with a gunsmith for 5 months is STILL not done and the gunsmith ignores my numerous emails and postings on his web forum. I've been sick as hell all week but still went to work, where it has been busy as hell. But a bright light shone through, briefly, when a large delivery truck showed up with a large box . . . from Namibia! My trophies! I was so excited that I wolfed down my lunch and got to opening up the box.

Well, let me describe said box - it was heavy cardboard, and on the inside it was "framed" with particle board slats that were screwed together - but two of them were broken and had fallen into and onto the trophies. The trophies were packed in bubble wrap and surrounded by confetti. I slowly extricated each one, beng careful to unwrap them.

Springbok skull and horns - look good, though one of the horns wont slip all the way down the base - may have to "sand" or shave off a little to get it down all the way.

Oryx skull and horns - perfect - very nice.

Baboon skull - wonderful

Impala skull and horns - awesome.

Warthog skull and tusks - very nice, except the shield it is on is split in half - not a biggie, I can fix that - some wood glue, a few bridging brackets, or just a new shield.

Kudu skull and horns - well, it appears the brunt of the damage from the broken frame hit the nose of the kudu and broke it off - but, I think with some glue (any suggestions on what to use to glue bone together?) I can make it look like it never happened - horns look great.

Zebra skin and zebra lamps - the lamps look really nice, also got some skin pieces from the rear legs and they are a good size to use for maybe some knife sheaths. The skin itself is HUGE - wife didn't realize just how big it was - one very small hole (any idea on how to patch this - maybe just glue a black felt patch on the back side?) - also, is there a way to make the mane stick up, as it sticks up in one or two places but is flat in others - or should it just stay flat? - overall, though, it is a great looking skin, though the wife said "Why are the "white" striped brownishand kind of grungy - shouldn't they be white"?

BUT - the biggest disappointment were my two remaining skins, the Impala and Springbok. Why? BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T THERE! They were beuatiful animals with incredible hides, and they were nowhere to be found - triple checked every inch of the box, packing materials, etc. - gone. So, now Coppersmith is starting to check into this. I can only think that either it wasn't put in the packaging, or it was stolen somewhere along the way, maybe by some Customs official, or by someone who packaged it up. I don't know - is this a common problem? Have any of you all had something like this happen? What sort of recours do I have?

What was supposed to be a very happy and joyous moment for me is kind of soured right now by this.

Just had to vent.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
1. You can soak the springbok horn in water to try and soften it and fit it onto the core or a quick fix is to take down the horn base with a rasp until it fits. Attach with epoxy if you want.

2. 5 minute epoxy, super glue or elmers will work on your kudu skull depending on the job.

3. Sew the hole closed or patch it like you said.

4. Difficult to get the mane to stand up straight at this point as it has a "memory" however you can try this: moisten the zebra mane with water and place strips of cardboard on either side, attach with paper clips or staples. let dry. Or leave it the way it is if you want it flat.

5. Zebra skins darken after tanning. Especially the shadow stripes of burchell's zebra. not sure why but they do.

Sorry about your problems but believe me, they could be much worse. The "damage" you describe is common and not really damage at all if that makes you feel any better. Call your PH regarding the missing skins. As a last resort you could buy two skins on ebay. Not your animals but perhaps better than nothing. The bottom line is somewhere along the way, someones attention to detail was lacking. Good luck.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
John

You've now had the full African experience.
Separate the taxidermy part from the hunting part and know that if what's "on the wall" is vital you have to go try again.

I have had to do such things as buy kudu horns that have not been burnt black to put together with the ravishlingly good cape to get what I wanted. In fact, the blond horns came from another taxidermist and the extension I put on to even up the tips came off eBay!!!!

Try using dip & pac approach and endure the extra wait to get American quality work instead of "on the cheap" hoping you don't get took from oceans away.

Grafton is a great resource, BTW.

Barry

Posts: 4862 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys - can you use mousse to help stiffen/straighten out the mane hair on the zebra?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Wet the mane by pulling a thick toothed comb dipped in water through the hair (try to not get the mount wet) and apply a cheap hair mousse to it. Work the mousse through with the comb. Cut chip board (soda or beer case box) into long strips the height of the mane (may need a few strips to card the whole mane), now card the mane by placing a piece of the chip board on either side of the mane and clip together with large paper clips. Make sure the mane remains in an erect position while drying. Leave carded for 7-10 days as your humidity will slow the drying. Will stand up beautifully after it dries.

Kind regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote