THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Trophy care when moving house?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trophy care when moving house?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How have your shoulder mounts faired when you have moved house? How did the removalists wrap and pack them? Any problems?
The reason I ask is that for years now I have been storing (around the yard) the crates my trophies were shipped in and it is getting to the stage where I need to clean up around the place - my plan has always been to repack my mounts as they were shipped to me when I move but now I'm thinking I should just let the removalists pack them with the rest of our stuff and get rid of the boxes.
Regards
GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All I can say is, good luck.

I have a pronghorn mount that made it from West Texas to Venezuela, then we moved about five miles from a house into an apartment a year later. I stuck a sign, in both Spanish and English under the mount telling the packers to not touch the head; that I'd move it myself.

My wife told the supervisor of the crew to leave it alone. Somehow we both ended up out of the house at the same time. I walked back into the den, and the head was gone. I found it on the truck, they had put it in a box and stuffed newspaper around it. They had broken the tips of both ears.

Count on the fact that your packers are going to be complete dumb-asses, and will not follow your instructions. Move them your self, if possible, or certainly pack and unpack them yourself.

Like you, I'd kept the box that the mount was originally shipped in both the humidity down here had eaten it up.

I have the buck my dad killed in 1948. It has moved about twenty five times. It still looks pretty good except for the seam widening down the back of the neck. We've always moved it ourselves, or supervised it being packed.

My advise, don't trust anyone, unless you can take it back to a taxidermist and have it packed professionally.

Posts: 13773 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am with Kensco on this one, if something big and/or heavy is fragile you'd better pack and move it yourself if you can. If you cannot, make sure you are here when they pack, and watch how they store it in their truck (if you don't supervise they might simply put the washing machine on top of it, some removalists are smart and professional but better to consider them as complete idiots if you want to avoid bad surprises).
I moved last year from Spain to France and these pricks broke one of my terrariums, I had nothing but a tiny plastic cage to house the darn snake for weeks...

Posts: 552 | Location: France | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote